Replacing pool light fixtures

Wild Duk

May 12, 2009
We have a bunch of bad pool light fixtures. They are about 10 yrs old. We want to go with led but the installer says that he cannot install pentaair products. I have found these for about $400.
Are the different brands I rerchangable or does he just want to sell us the brand that he carries.....

Thx

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Sounds like they are not an authorized Pentair dealer. Sort of like buying a Chevrolet at the Ford dealer.

Wild Duk

May 12, 2009
Sounds like they are not an authorized Pentair dealer. Sort of like buying a Chevrolet at the Ford dealer.
Ok. My next question is does the water have to be drained below the light to replace. If it does not, how do you seal where the power cord goes thru the niche in the pool wall....

Thx

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
The conduit to a light fixture is flooded and it usually goes back to the equipment pad and exits above the waterline. The light has a sealed cord long enough to go to the switch.

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
Caulk to seal pool light = amateur/misguided installation.

Check out BulbWizard led lights on Amazon...assuming you have "standard" sized light housing/fixtures that I understand you will be replacing. Very reasonably priced and good reviews.