Dec 28, 2015
Mansfield, TX
Pool Pic.jpg
We have 15-year-old Kool-Crete on our pool deck. It has really started to come loose, and it is looking pretty rough. Also, my pool boy (pictured) likes to pick it up and eat it. I got a quote to replace it from the company that did it initially, but we are not sure this is what we want to go back with. I have had another quote from a company that does a heavy-duty epoxy flake, but I did not like how rough the texture has to be to keep from slipping on it.

In both quotes, the expense for grinding off this existing decking is very costly. This brings me to a couple questions:

Is there anything we can lay over the existing KoolCrete decking, or will it have to be ground off with every type of decking?

What are some other good options for this area? Travertine? Flagstone? Pavers?

If you are in this area, what companies have you used?

Pictures, thoughts and recommendations are appreciated!

Reactions: PoolTime2022
Well, I'm surprised your pool tech guy can't give you a better solution. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I don't have a Kool-Crete deck, so I'm no help there. If you search our forum like below you'll see tons of discussions. The item below was mentioned a couple times for smaller patch repairs if that helps. Aside from that, you may have to break open the piggy bank for a bigger overhaul. :(

View attachment 390037
We have 15-year-old Kool-Crete on our pool deck. It has really started to come loose, and it is looking pretty rough. Also, my pool boy (pictured) likes to pick it up and eat it. I got a quote to replace it from the company that did it initially, but we are not sure this is what we want to go back with. I have had another quote from a company that does a heavy-duty epoxy flake, but I did not like how rough the texture has to be to keep from slipping on it.

In both quotes, the expense for grinding off this existing decking is very costly. This brings me to a couple questions:

Is there anything we can lay over the existing KoolCrete decking, or will it have to be ground off with every type of decking?

What are some other good options for this area? Travertine? Flagstone? Pavers?

If you are in this area, what companies have you used?

Pictures, thoughts and recommendations are appreciated!

It looks like the deck is stained/painted, if so then there isn't much that can be done without taking it all the way down to concrete.

The cheapest alternative to full removal would be to pressure wash the deck (3500 PSI or better, the little electric washers won't be enough) with the goal of removing anything that has or will soon come loose. Once that is gone, reapply the KoolCrete to the missing areas (a good installer will be able to match the patch areas with the original), then restain the entire deck. You will probably want to add some silica sand or other non-slip additive to the last coat of stain. The trick will probably be finding a company to do such a small job - you might ask if they have any guys that would do something like that on the side.

When they do the deck, have them replace the grout between the coping and deck with a good sealant. And get ya a proper skimmer lid ;)

Pavers are going to be tricky to make elevations match. You would probably have to have the coping replaced also.

It looks like the deck is stained/painted, if so then there isn't much that can be done without taking it all the way down to concrete.

The cheapest alternative to full removal would be to pressure wash the deck (3500 PSI or better, the little electric washers won't be enough) with the goal of removing anything that has or will soon come loose. Once that is gone, reapply the KoolCrete to the missing areas (a good installer will be able to match the patch areas with the original), then restain the entire deck. You will probably want to add some silica sand or other non-slip additive to the last coat of stain. The trick will probably be finding a company to do such a small job - you might ask if they have any guys that would do something like that on the side.

When they do the deck, have them replace the grout between the coping and deck with a good sealant. And get ya a proper skimmer lid ;)

Pavers are going to be tricky to make elevations match. You would probably have to have the coping replaced also.
Thanks for the reply. That’s a custom skimmer lid 🤣

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.