Replacing Ortega Check Valve

Spin2Win

Nov 24, 2019
Phoenix, az
Both my Ortega Check Valves need replaced. I was wanting to replace with Jandy Check valves since they are more common and easy to rebuild. I don’t think I have the room to install check valve vertically because Jandy recommends 18” column of water above the valve and wants water flow going upwards. The valve on the right will be going downwards.

Does anyone know if you can buy the entire Ortega Check valve assembly complete? Mine valve body is pretty worn and don’t think a new piston/plumber will work. I really want to get away from it but don’t want to have to re-pipe entire system. Anyone have any recommendations on installing new valve or piping configuration?

Attachments

• 1E3CE3BC-FF8B-4BFC-9B61-A51DB8C48C01.jpeg
    1E3CE3BC-FF8B-4BFC-9B61-A51DB8C48C01.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 30
I would just replace both those with Jandy right angle check valves. They're spring loaded valves, so I wouldn't worry too much about them not having a column of water above them. Jandy is covering themselves with the statement about the installation.

I was thinking about trying it and see if it would work for the valve on the left. My valve on the right flows opposite direction and instructions say incorrect way to install. I don’t see how it wouldn’t work. Water enters the right side when pump runs and goes out to pool returns. With pump off, flapper Should spring closed it allowing water from spa jets to back siphon. I am missing something?

Attachments

• 9509FCBA-DF99-4A9D-9991-9AD6822F256B.jpeg
    9509FCBA-DF99-4A9D-9991-9AD6822F256B.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 18
  • D26D053A-0ECA-4B76-AA14-EE11B300D98C.jpeg
    D26D053A-0ECA-4B76-AA14-EE11B300D98C.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 13
Their recommendations are for when you have a tall column of water you're trying to hold back. If you install them like the bottom row of illustrations the weight of the water will overcome the spring. In a pool installations you're going to have water on both sides of the valve and it will balance and the spring will close.

The Ortega valves have the same inherent restrictions due to the design, so if they're working then the Jandy's will work.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.