Replacing old Aqualink with new

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
Our old Aqualink control board outside by our equipment panel has finally quit. We believe that it's the original hen the pool was built in 1995. It is a board consisting of switches that slide back and forth that control everything (main pump, cleaner pump, and all auxiliary equipment). We have always been able to control everything remotely using a wall-mounted panel inside of the house.

We are trying to replace this system with a new Aqualink, and we're trying to do it ourselves. As far as we know, our actuators are still good. We just need to replace the control center outside and wire everything into it. I asked at our local family-owned pool store where I go for my liquid chlorine, and they suggested buying an Aqualink 6613 control center (I think it's an Aqualink RS). Does anyone here know if that unit is all that is needed to operate our equipment, assuming that our actuators still work? Does anyone know if this unit can be controlled remotely without having to purchase anything additional, like a PDA?

Post pics of your current boxes including any labels on the doors.

Boy, that is old.

You need to open up the panel and show us pics of the inside wiring. Also pics of any motorized actuators.

Here is a picture showing the two actuators (I've included a close-up of one that still has the label). The wiring inside of the control center is such a tangled mess now because of the number of people that have gotten into it to try to see if anything could be fixed. I don't think a picture of that would help much.

I've also included a picture of the inside of the door to the control center.

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_081616.jpg
    IMG_20191014_081616.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20191014_081552.jpg
    IMG_20191014_081552.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20191014_081653.jpg
    IMG_20191014_081653.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 8
I doubt you would want to re-use any of the old automation components. They are cheap anyway like $120 for each JVA. The new system will come with everything you need though. The bad news is Jandy no longer sells to consumers. So in addition to paying the system price, you will also have to pay for installation. You could probably find a system somewhere but Jandy won't honor a warranty if it is self-installed. I had a Jandy system spec'd out 3 years ago and it was @ $3500 installed. Personally if I was in your shoes, I would look to another automation brand.

You have standard actuators. I wanted to see if the the actuator plugs connecting in the panel were still intact or cutoff.

Where are your CBs for the equipment? In that panel or a separate subpanel?

Without seeing the wiring we cannot comment more on suitability or difficulty of a DIY install.

I think you have a complete redo. Nothing there is salvageable or tieing you to Jandy. I would install an IntelliCenter panel.

The circuit boards are inside the panel. We have been told by multiple pool techs that one of the circuit boards is bad and no longer replaceable. Not surprising, due to age. We were just trying to only replace what's needed (control panel) so that we can get back up and running. Just curious - why is nothing else salvageable?

Just curious - why is nothing else salvageable?

What do you have? The actuators may be usable if the connectors are intact. I can't tell without seeing teh wire ends.

The panel is shot.

What else is there?

We have the remote panel inside the house, but I'm sure that's obsolete since you can now use an Aqualink app to communicate with the control center.

The only component that went out is a circuit board in that old control panel. Everything else should still work. That's why I'm wondering if we can just replace the control center, rather than buying a whole new kit. Is there anything that would cause old actuators not to be compatible with a new control center? To my knowledge, there are no other components to the system itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can find the board on eBay. How many jvas do you have? Just the 2? If so who cares just replace them if you decide on a new system.

The only component that went out is a circuit board in that old control panel.

Without showing me the insides, I think that is the entire system. What else is there to it?

Everything else should still work.

What components are everything else?

That's why I'm wondering if we can just replace the control center, rather than buying a whole new kit.

What else do you think is in a new kit that you will not need?

Is there anything that would cause old actuators not to be compatible with a new control center? To my knowledge, there are no other components to the system itself.

I said twice above, it depends on if actuators the connectors were kept or cut off to connect to your old board. But you will not show me the wiring to see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.