Replacing my pump with Pentair Superflo VS Variable Speed Pump? HELP

May 10, 2016
Baton Rouge, LA
Sorry in advance, I know there are a million posts on variable speed pumps, but I get confused easily on this stuff and wanted direct responses to my particular needs. Therefore:

After thinking for a couple of years about potentially replacing our outdated pump with a variable speed pump due to energy savings, the motor on our pump is going out on me. (By the motor going out, I mean that it is much louder and it shuts off periodically because it is overheating.) Pool store people agreed the motor is going out and I would likely need to replace it.

Now that I am looking at a couple hundred dollars for replacement of the motor, it seems I need to decide now whether or not to leap into the variable speed market or not. Our energy company is not currently offering any rebates, but they usually do at some point in the year - I just think it will be in the fall so we will not be able to wait that long.

I browsed the pool store a bit and discussed the options with them on which pump would be best for me.
My setup: I currently have a .75HP Hayward Super Pump and a 300 lb sand filter.
They recommended: Pentair Superflo VS Variable Speed Pump indicating that the intelliflo would be overkill for what I needed.

With their sale price and company rebate, it looks like I would be in the $750-800 ballpark. It looks like I can buy the same online for a little cheaper.

My questions: Is this the right pump for me? Should I go with Hayward? I don't have any easy touch or SWG. Though I do like the idea of in the next couple of years switching to a SWG.
Is there anything that I am not thinking about?? Any other questions I need to answer before picking a pump? Is it best to switch to the VS instead of the cheaper option of fixing just the motor?

Thanks!!!

I,

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is a great pump... It is the pump you want if you do not plan on using it with an automation system...

If you are thinking of going with an Easytouch in the future, the SuperFlo is not the right choice.. It does not have a com port and can't easily be controlled by an EasyTouch.

The EasyTouch was made to control the IntelliFlo VS pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do not expect to need any automation system. We do not have a spa, heater, or any other features that would benefit from it. We do have a water slide, but it is plumbed with an alternative water source. The only problem with the slide is that it adds freshwater to the pool the entire time that it is used since it is plumbed from a water source off of the house via hose. I would like to plumb it into the pump so that I could run it whenever I want without being concerned about adding in that fresh water, but I am afraid it may be too involved given the location along the property line - it would require me to bust up a large amount of concrete or dig along the property line/on the neighbor's property - they might have a problem with that.

We do have a pool light, but it is a broken fiberoptic light that I need to eventually retrofit and replace with an LED. Therefore, I don't think the automation is a need.

I too just run fresh water to my slide. It really does not use much water and if the kids are jumping in and out of the pool they are removing water too. Of course I get a lot of evaporation, so my autofill is always adding water anyway.

How much salt do you have to add over the season?
Me? Maybe a bag or 2. I have not kept track. I just did a full refill and needed 12 bags to get to 3200ppm. I may add 1 more to be on the high side. Likely will not need to add any until next spring, but now that I use the PoolMath app, I will have better records.

Easy enough to do with a saddle clamp and some hose running to the slide or a pipe similar to a flow switch with switch removed (not sure of the name) and line running to slide. A lot are plumbed that way around here.
Interesting. I would assume that the saddle clamp idea would have the water running to the slide all the time...Not sure if I want that. I guess I could install a saddle clamp and some type of valve before the hose/plumbing that runs to the pool that I could close or open if needed.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.