Melbourne, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Florida Space Coast resident here in east central Florida … are there competing models that support Pentair’s automation control panel. Looking for the most affordable solution to accommodate my constrained budget. I may even endeavor to do a self install.

The latest version of the MasterTemp line now comes with an RS485 connection to communicate with the IntelliCenter automation system. They also FINALLY put the error lights on the front of the membrane control pad so you don’t have to flip the top over to see what error codes are being tripped. Not sure how much use the IntelliCenter is making of the serial communications with the heater (would be nice if they displayed errors in the automation panel) but there is also an option for the MasterTemp to directly control an IntelliValve so that you can do an automated heater bypass in the plumbing.

They’re getting better with utilizing digital controls but it’s still pretty prehistoric. If you have all Pentair products then sticking with a MasterTemp is probably your best bet for automation needs.

Reactions: JamesW
The latest version of the MasterTemp line now comes with an RS485 connection to communicate with the IntelliCenter automation system. They also FINALLY put the error lights on the front of the membrane control pad so you don’t have to flip the top over to see what error codes are being tripped. Not sure how much use the IntelliCenter is making of the serial communications with the heater (would be nice if they displayed errors in the automation panel) but there is also an option for the MasterTemp to directly control an IntelliValve so that you can do an automated heater bypass in the plumbing.

They’re getting better with utilizing digital controls but it’s still pretty prehistoric. If you have all Pentair products then sticking with a MasterTemp is probably your best bet for automation needs.
Thanks for that sage advice! I’ll add that I also use the Pentair Easytouch panel and control my pool lights, spa, and pump with the Pentair app. Spa heater compatibility with my system is a must and I’d love to discover if competitors have a form, fit, and function heater that replaces the MasterTemp

Thanks for that sage advice! I’ll add that I also use the Pentair Easytouch panel and control my pool lights, spa, and pump with the Pentair app. Spa heater compatibility with my system is a must and I’d love to discover if competitors have a form, fit, and function heater that replaces the MasterTemp

Pentair’s automation systems (I have an EasyTouch too) are pretty much a locked product in terms of how they interact with other pool manufacturers’ equipment. In the case of a non-Pentair heater, the only thing that an EasyTouch will provide is control of the heater through the standard two-wire fireman’s switch. There will be no digital communications or controls.

The latest version of the MasterTemp line now comes with an RS485 connection to communicate with the IntelliCenter automation system. They also FINALLY put the error lights on the front of the membrane control pad so you don’t have to flip the top over to see what error codes are being tripped.

Not just error lights but alphabetic codes on the display panel for errors.

Not sure how much use the IntelliCenter is making of the serial communications with the heater (would be nice if they displayed errors in the automation panel)

If you have a "connected RS-485" MasterTemp heater it will display errors on the IntelliCenter, but not the EasyTouch.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.