Replacing Hayward Pool Heater H250

LaiMi

Jun 16, 2019
Canada
Hello, our new pool’s heater just stopped working a few weeks after the warranty expired. We had a Hayward H250 and the heat exchanger failed/rusted. We have a salt water pool and keep it balanced biweekly professionally. Needless to say we’d like to replace with a more durable unit. Is Raypack Aria the best one?

Last edited:
They are all basically the same with the same materials.

If your pool is balanced biweekly professionally I suspect your water chemistry killed your heater.

Do you know what chemicals your professional puts in your pool?

Do you know what your water chemistry is?

Hello, our new pool’s heater just stopped working a few weeks after the warranty expired. We had a Hayward H250 and the heat exchanger failed/rusted. We have a salt water pool and keep it balanced biweekly professionally. Needless to say we’d like to replace with a more durable unit. Is Raypack Aria the best one?
What is the problem with the heater? If it is leaking, probably bad chemistry. Is there a tablet feeder in the system? That kills more heaters than you can imagine. Is it the electronics? That has nothing to do with the water.

What is the problem with the heater? If it is leaking, probably bad chemistry. Is there a tablet feeder in the system? That kills more heaters than you can imagine. Is it the electronics? That has nothing to do with the water.
It was the heat exchanger - rusted completely and started leaking in 3 seasons. We have a salt water pool and have it professionally balanced all season. No feeder tablet.

It was the heat exchanger - rusted completely and started leaking in 3 seasons. We have a salt water pool and have it professionally balanced all season. No feeder tablet.
Either you have very high water flow, which can eat a heat exchanger, or very bad chemistry, which is more likely. Heat exchangers are copper, they don't rust.

What about all the posts in this forum stating same thing happened to them? Leaky heat exchanger on same model despite good water chemistry?
The single-header design of a Hayward heat exchanger makes it susceptible to damage at the other end from flow rates that are too high. Possibilty. A visible inspection can easily differentiate the reason, in most cases.

You are NOT alone. I know that heaters are roughly the same but I had the same issue with two successive Hayward H250 HX's that didn't last 2 seasons each. I use a Taylor kit for my chemistry and am a type A so test my water frequently. I am afraid that there is more to this heater than we know and I have seen posts about dissimilar metal contact in the heater.