Replacing Globrite. Do I need to drain?

shellbmb

Jun 5, 2018
ATX
I have to replace a Pentair Globrite (Shocker, I know!) but i was curious if I have to drain below the level of the light housing. I've had most of them repaired under warranty, but this one lasted through the warranty period so it's on me now. I recall watching the tech replace them and they drained the spa to replace the one in the spa, but they did the other one in the shallow landing while it was slightly submerged. The one I need to replace is about 3 feet under water. I know the housing isn't water tight so I'm assuming there is already water in the conduit going back to the equipment pad. And the J-box/connection box at the equipment pad is about 4 feet up the wall so the water level should be well below that. My plan was to kill the power to the equipment pad and just replace it without draining. I'll use a nylon pull string and attach it to the old light to help pull the new light through.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you. It was relatively easy. I'm sure I'll have to do it again given the poor history of these lights. I have 5 of them and I think all 5 have failed. I might have one original that's still working.

Last edited:
I just replaced mine this year. Wet. But am now wondering if I should get water out of niche or even loosen the light so water can’t freeze against the light in the niche. I drain below the light before pool cover goes on. The way I see these all splitting on the side, I assume it is from water in pvc niche freezing? I have always wondered about color cascades also. I stuff them with foam in niche to avoid freezing pressure. But wonder if they should be loose also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.