Replacing failing Hayward Ecostar

adpoppen

Apr 29, 2023
Phoenix Arizona
Well the rebuild of a failing Ecostar VSP is failing after 3 years. ( The rebuild is all our home warranty would cover)
So, I am researching the best route to go.
Replace the motor or buy whole new pump. In reading some previous posts, it looks like Tristar 2 speed is it. We would like to do the install ourselves to save on $.
Our pool is 25,000 gallons, water fall, crappy pebble tec, NO inground pop-ups. I think that is all for info.
Any advice, knowledge or etc. is welcome.

Welcome to posting on TFP! :wave:

The Hayward Tristar 950 is the closest to the old Ecostar.
It should be a direct replacement - but you'd need to check to see if the inlet and outlet dimensions are the same as the old pump.

Will the home warranty cover any of the cost?

I see you've been a member for over a year.
How are you chlorinating?
Have a read thru Pool Care Basics

Well the rebuild of a failing Ecostar VSP is failing after 3 years. ( The rebuild is all our home warranty would cover)
So, I am researching the best route to go.
Replace the motor or buy whole new pump. In reading some previous posts, it looks like Tristar 2 speed is it. We would like to do the install ourselves to save on $.
Our pool is 25,000 gallons, water fall, crappy pebble tec, NO inground pop-ups. I think that is all for info.
Any advice, knowledge or etc. is welcome.
The TriStar line is a direct replacement. The difference between the EcoStar and the new Tristar 950 is the improved drive and motor. If you get a two speed (which aren't really legal in the US) you will also need a 2-speed timer to have it change speeds. But, they are the same as you have now as far as plumbing. That adds complexity to the wiring and at least $300 - $400 to the cost, depending on what you have now controlling the pool equipment.