Replacing back flow valve to my spa

dogtag13

Jun 17, 2017
Dallas
Hello, I'm in Texas and during the unprecedented cold weather I had the Jandy backflow valve coming from my hot tube/spa freeze and crack. The Jandy valve was installed when the spa heater started leaking and the heater was bypassed maybe 15 years ago. Now that I'm looking at repairing that valve I'm questioning if it was done property to begin with. My spa is elevated and flows into the pool. I believe when the Jandy valve was first installed, the level in the spa stayed constant but now it slowly drops when the pool is not on. Maybe I already needed a new valve. Does this plumbing look proper? Should I just replace the Jandy valve (and the broken PVC elbow going into the copper valve) and call it a day? I'm getting ready to have old heater hauled off to clean things up.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    539.3 KB · Views: 19
Dog,

If your spa was draining down to the level of the jets, before the freeze, then that is a pretty good indication that the check valve is leaking.

As long as the outside is not cracked, you can just replace the guts.. The sell rebuild kits.

90% of the time, when a spa drains down with the pump off, it is caused by a leaking check valve.. The whole purpose of the check valve is to allow water into the spa so it will overflow into the pool, and when the pump is off, to prevent water from going the other way and draining the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jimrahbe,

The outside was cracked so I'm replacing the valve. The direction of flow the way the current valve is installed towards the old brass valve with the blue knob. Water was flowing the other direction against the valve when the pipe burst. Now I question as to whether it was installed backwards.

Dog,

The spa would not have worked if the check valve was in backwards.. You want water to flow into the spa and cause it to spillover into the pool. You do not want water going the other way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.