Replacing a very old lighting niche fixture... no conduit.

Jan 19, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hola fun seekers and fellow travelers

I have a very old Hayward astrolight SP0584. The fixture is shorting, leaks, and needs to be replaced...
However the current arrangement has no conduit. The electrical line is buried under about 40 linear feet of concrete deck and wired directly into the house.
It also has no ground... I love old houses.

Obviously I need to add a bonding point inside the niche.

I also think I need to cut the wire and find a waterproof electrical box to put in the niche. The wire and shielding seem intact and I will add a GFCI and disconnect in the wall.

Is there anything else I am missing and does anyone out there have a good product or technique to use for the waterproof junction box?

Ok... so an idea. Solder the wires together to get a great connection with a small foot print. Coat them in dielectric grease. Shrink wrap that. Then fill in a regular weather proof junction box with pure silicone caulk. Tighten up the box, let it dry, and voila... What doest thou, oh great interweb of knowledge, thinkith?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.