Replacing 50% Water In El Dorado County, CA

My pH is off the chart now. I'm guessing it's now about 8.2, which is interesting, because for years it's been completely neutral and I never had to mess with it.

I read something somewhere about chlorine tabs having something in them that lowers pH, and if that's true, then it's understandable that I didn't have a high pH because using tabs for many years not only overloaded my CYA, it must also have kept my pH in check.

That said, what is the best way to lower my pH without upsetting my other good levels? Way back at another house I lived in that had a pool, I just went to Leslie's and bought some muriatic acid. I looked at my local Home Depot and Walmart and they don't seem to carry anything for lowering pH. I have Leslie's in walking distance from, me, and according to Pool Math I only need 5-6 cups of their muriatic acid. Should I do that?

Yes. Use pool math to determine the correct quantity of muriatic acid to bring you down into range. Muriatic acid comes in different strengths. Make sure you select the right strength in the app to avoid overdosing.

OK, sounds like you approve of using muriatic acid
Yep...from Pool School:
pH – Acidity/Alkalinity
Lowering pH
To lower pH you can use either muriatic acid or dry acid. Muriatic acid is less expensive, though it can be annoying to handle. It is best to use muriatic acid if you have a SWG. If you don’t have a SWG, and handling muriatic acid bothers you, you can use dry acid.

Muriatic acid is sold by most hardware stores and some paint stores. The big box hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowes, almost always have it, but they seem to put it in different departments from store to store. Sometimes it is outside in the garden department, sometimes in pool supplies, and sometimes in the paint department.

Muriatic acid is available in various strengths. The most common strength is called either 20° baume or 31.45%. 10° baume or 15.725% is easier to handle but you need twice as much and it is usually more expensive.

You should always wear eye protection when handling muriatic acid. You do not want to breathe muriatic acid fumes. If you spill any on your clothes it will cause damage. Muriatic acid may sting a bit if you get it on your skin, but won’t normally cause any serious harm as long as you rinse it off right away.

Muriatic acid should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid.

Dry acid is sold by pool stores and the pool departments of some big box stores. Dry acid is sold under various names, including PH Down, PH Reducer, PH Decreaser, Lo-n-Slo, etc. Dry acid is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

If you haven't already, it may be a good time to review the section of Calcium Saturation Index (CSI), which can best be controlled by managing the proper pH level given your water chemistry.

Best of luck!

That said, what is the best way to lower my pH without upsetting my other good levels? Way back at another house I lived in that had a pool, I just went to Leslie's and bought some muriatic acid. I looked at my local Home Depot and Walmart and they don't seem to carry anything for lowering pH. I have Leslie's in walking distance from, me, and according to Pool Math I only need 5-6 cups of their muriatic acid. Should I do that?
You can also get the MA in the paint department.. same stuff higher concentration. it maybe labeled as 20 baume, that same as 31% concentration. I don't think HD or WM has really started stocking pools chems yet for the season besides a few random bottles of CL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can also get the MA in the paint department.. same stuff higher concentration. it maybe labeled as 20 baume, that same as 31% concentration. I don't think HD or WM has really started stocking pools chems yet for the season besides a few random bottles of CL.
Turns out HD has it in the Gardening department. They said they cannot keep it near the chlorine because of explosion dangers. They have two types. 2 pack 14.5% for $10.88 and 2 pack 31.45% for $12.98. I got the 31.45% stuff. I used Pool Math's 29% formula, and used 5 oz shy of the recommendation, and wouldn't you know it, I went from 8.2 to 7.6 on the nose! That Pool Math is so nice. I have no idea if pH needs regular balancing or not, because I never had to add any before, so now I hope that the MA doesn't just sit and rot because I only used 1 quart out of 2 gallons. Or, maybe I want it to rot, because that would mean I never have to adjust it!

BTW, the fumes on that stuff is NASTY. Everyone says wear gloves and eyewear, but no one said to wear a mask!

Yeah I could swore I saw MA at the Folsom HD. MA doesn't go bad. it has a pretty long shelf life unlike CL. I have a SWG so I am using mine regularly. I keep some around for other tasks.
What other uses do you have for it? I couldn't believe the fumes coming out of the liquid, it looked like smoke. A light breeze blew in my direction, and some of it wafted into my face. I inhaled just a wee bit of those fumes, and it almost made me instantly pass out. That stuff is DANGEROUS at that concentration.

Regarding pool math, not sure why you used the 29% . There is a 31% option there as well.
I didnt know that option was there. If I remember correctly, when I tapped the field, I saw 29 highlighted, 14.5 above it, and Dry Acid below it, so it looked like the options were listed in ascending order. I scrolled down, but didn't think to scroll backwards to look for 31.45 below 14.5. Great app, but I guess the list options aren't displayed inutitively enough. No offense to anyone who contributed to the app, since percentage is the first thing on each list option, as software developer myself, I would have ensured the list options were sorted in ascending (or descending) order by percentage. ;)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.