Replacing 1995 Jandy Aqualink 2 Pool Controller

RichSiegmund

Gold Supporter
Oct 8, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi Folks,

My ancient pool controller has mostly given up - Yesterday the filter pump got stuck on despite the inside control panel showing off, this has happened before and I assumed a relay was stuck on. Today I replaced the relay board, but now the panel appears dead, nothing on the LCD display.

For many years slight pressure on the metal enclosure on the low voltage side has caused relay chatter, I've always assumed it's cold solder joints but since the system keeps working I haven't worried too much. 22 years is a pretty good run. Today there is a low grade hum from the low voltage side that is new.

In any case, unless my last gasp effort to stick the low voltage board in the oven (300F for 10 minutes) to re-anneal the solder joints works, I'm likely looking for a new controller. I've read many posts on TFP about the Pentair Intellicenter, I figure it's getting all the attention because most people believe it's the best current option, but I am concerned about the numerous complaints about the software side of things.

Looking for hints about best approach for me. This link: IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide had the most useful info, I've read it fully.

Q1 - Is Intellicenter the recommended controller? I understand I'll probably be getting software that will hopefully get better over time but is frustrating today.
Q2 - seems Polytec pools is a fine choice, any reason to look elsewhere?

- my equipment - 12500 gal IG pool/spa gunite/concrete, 1 1/2 HP US Motors pump K63CXERY-4786, Pentair 60sqft DE filter, Polaris PB4-60 Sweep Pump, 1995 era Jetvac sweep, TF-100 Test Kit, gas heater

- I'd prefer to DIY this full replacement. I don't know how to find a reputable installer (austin TX) and I figure I'll do a better job than the average tech.

Attachments

• aqualink 2 inside control panel (dead).png
    aqualink 2 inside control panel (dead).png
    91 KB · Views: 3
  • low voltage PCB 5574D.png
    low voltage PCB 5574D.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
  • power center.png
    power center.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 5
The Intellicenter is pretty much the top of the line controller these days. It is a fairly new product so it still has some growing pains, and you can read all about them here. If I were to buy a controller instead of building my own I would have bought the Intellcenter.

The Intellicenter is pretty much the top of the line controller these days. It is a fairly new product so it still has some growing pains, and you can read all about them here. If I were to buy a controller instead of building my own I would have bought the Intellcenter.
Thanks for the quick response - I'm insisting to myself that I buy an off the shelf product instead of building something because I anticipate selling my house in the next few years and don't think a future buyer would look well on any DIY.

I completely agree with you, I was not suggesting that you DIY a controller (it is a labor of love, not sanity). But the Intellicenter is the best and would have the best longevity of a product.

Reactions: RichSiegmund
UPDATE - ended up ordering Pentair 521907 IntelliCenter System; Load Center with i5PS Personality Kit; from wholesalepoolequipment.com (because polytecpools was out of stock). But I did then order the Pentair IntelliCenter Indoor Control Panel Kit - White, Product ID: 522035 which has not arrived.

Costs were $1900 and $370 each including shipping to austin TX

The installation went smoothly, didn't have too many questions and currently I have ability to manually control pool/spa mode, cleaner, heater in either mode, lights in pool and spa, which is mostly what I need. I'm sure it won't be too complicated to set up some regular routines, but I like turning pool and cleaner when I want to based on conditions or whether I'm outdoor, so routines aren't super important unless I travel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.