Replacing 1 HP - limited selection on variable speed

sidewalk

Jun 7, 2019
OH
I am looking to replace my 1HP inground single speed pump with a variable speed this season. The current pump is a pretty cheap 1 HP. The pool is probably around 30,000 gallons and only has one AquaGenie skimmer. There are two return lines, one going to the AquaGenie's return and one going to the main return. I have one of these return lines split so that you can send water to the pool slide as well. The pump is not powerful enough to send water to all three so if you want water at the slide, you have to turn the other return line off.

The pool does not have a floor drain so the skimmer is the only line going to the filter. This seems like an underpowered system but maybe I'm assuming wrong. Regardless, I do not have plans to install more lines at this point.

The problem I'm having is that I don't really see many options for a 1 HP variable speed pumps. I've found a few but they have really bad reviews. If I move up to 1.5 HP, there are tons of decent options but I'm not sure if my setup can handle a 50% increase in power. The other smaller issue is that I'd prefer the pump to be able to run on a 110 line since that's what I have by the equipment. There is a 220 hookup right there but that's for the heat pump. I'm not certain if the heat pump and water pump can be hooked up on the same wiring/circuit. I could run another 220 line but I'm about maxed out on the electric panel this would be coming from and would prefer not having to either reconfigure it, add a subpanel, or replace the panel with something larger.

I guess the big question is whether or not my pool can handle 1.5HP or not. If not, any recommendations on a 1HP pump that could be run more economically than my current one?

A VARIABLE speed pump is a VARIABLE HP pump. You set the speed and HP you want the pump to run at.

Your pool can handle any size VS pump if the proper speeds are set on the pump control panel.

A 1.5 HP or 3 HP VS pump is fine for you. A larger HP VS pump can run at a lower speed for the same HP and be quieter and use less energy.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.