Replacements for Nature2 Duo? Duo they work?

DiveController

Dec 4, 2019
Texas
In the last several years, the cost of the nature2 Duo 45K (W28002)cartridge has doubled in price. There are similar cartridges being sold by lesser known companies that are significantly cheaper. The big question: do they work? I.e.
Do they have the same quantity of the same compounds?

In the last several years, the cost of the nature2 Duo 45K (W28002)cartridge has doubled in price. There are similar cartridges being sold by lesser known companies that are significantly cheaper. The big question: do they work? I.e.
Do they have the same quantity of the same compounds?
Weldome! TFP would strongly advise against the nature2 or other mineral type systems. They usually add metals like copper to the water which can stain the surfaces after it builds up high enough and doesn’t do much to sanitize the water. They’re also much more expensive than standard chlorination as you’ve discovered.

Here’s a couple links to what TFP recommends and doesn’t recommend.

Some great advice there! I have been using the cartridge for several years and it limits how much chlorine I have to add to the pool, which in itself has also become expensive, so really just seeking information from anyone who also uses i”Nature 2 Duo ‘replacements’

I have been using the cartridge for several years and it limits how much chlorine I have to add to the pool,
Oh no it doesn't. The sun burns off chlorine daily, which needs to be replaced daily to remain sanitary. The only way you need less chlorine is if the device blocks out the sun by deploying a tent.

These devices are for controlling the algae you get from following the industry chemistry recommendations. Ironically, they help with pool water mismanagement in that case. Without algae, they serve zero purpose, sterilizing already sterile water.

so really just seeking information from anyone who also uses i”Nature 2 Duo ‘replacements’

You do not want any type of mineral system replacement.

Mineral systems add copper and silver to your water that accumulate and will stain your pool eventually. Especially in TX where you rarely drain your pool.

Reactions: Bperry
Thanks for your opinion. Actually I drained my pool last year, year three. Unfortunately I have not received one ON TOPIC reply so far regarding the cartridge contents, just the presumption that I have no working knowledge of how to manage my own pool. Thanks for the replies in any case

Thanks for your opinion. Actually I drained my pool last year, year three. Unfortunately I have not received one ON TOPIC reply so far regarding the cartridge contents, just the presumption that I have no working knowledge of how to manage my own pool. Thanks for the replies in any case
Dive,
I doubt anybody here has actually checked to see if the minerals are the same and same quantity. We are so opposed to that kind of sanitizer that it just isn't anything we'd spend a lot of time on. May I suggest you write the manufacturer and possibly check the msds for each? I'd also encourage you to move to a salt pool. We did that years ago and love the feel of the water plus maintenance is much easier. Used to be about break even with liquid chlorine addition but with current pricing I think it's probably a lot better.

Whatever you decide, good luck and if we can help with anything else please just drop us a question.

Chris

Reactions: newdude
Mineral systems bring many people to TFP.

We are repeatedly reminded, per new members, to avoid them at all costs. If it's not the staining, it's the swamps.

When you have met thousands of fellow mineral system owners, maybe you'll see it the same as we do. :)

I do hope you get an answer though, maybe someone knows. Hang tight.

Hey Dive, genuinely sorry to not be more help. I looked up the MSDS of the nature2 duo clear and like expected it’s just aluminum oxide, copper and silver. (See below) All of which are bad for swimming pools. If you provided a link to the replacement cell, maybe we could also look up its MSDS to see if they are similar.

If you’ve had to drain your pool already then it seems you maybe know about the issues with metals in pool water. There’s should be no need to ever drain a pool for water quality issues and there should never be algae if the water is managed well.

Take a look through the TFP pool school articles to get an idea of what TFP is about. Many, many, many people come here with problems after depending on these systems and want a way out after realizing they were an expensive scam. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to realize it though and so I realize it’s super hard to let go of what seems to have been working for a few years and so you’re free to do as you like, it’s your pool. Would love to help you more if possible and am genuinely not trying to be insulting. (That last statement sounds kinda sarcastic to me, but it’s not the intention)

IMG_4376.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.