Replacement main drain covers - Dolphin gets stuck

LapPoolMike

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Saint Petersburg, FL
My S300i gets stuck on top of my "anti-vortex" main drain covers sometimes. They are Waterway part# 640-231x V.

If anyone knows of a replacement drain cover that might solve this issue, please reply.

I tried the Polaris Unibridge (placed over main drain covers) but didn't really like them so I removed. I've read about those plastic clips that clip on drain cover but read some negative reviews about them popping off, or not working, etc., so haven't spent $ on those yet.

I'm really hunting for a direct replacement drain cover for mine that will solve the issue, it probably doesn't exist, but you never know until you ask!

Thanks.

Any updates on this?? My Maytronics Active30i (same as s300i) gets stuck on my drain cover, which appears to be a Paramount SDX. It gets stuck even without the pump running; the cover is simply too high. It's about 10" wide so not compatible with this Zodiac product that only works with 8" drains (https://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-5820-White-Unibridge-Replacement/dp/B002SG7NQI). Then there is a thing called Main Drain Clip on that's also not compatible with the SDX (Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified).

Are drain covers interchangeable?

If not, I'm wondering if anyone has done some DIY to solve this (like screwing a big protrusion onto the drain?).

Are drain covers interchangeable?

If not, I'm wondering if anyone has done some DIY to solve this (like screwing a big protrusion onto the drain?).

You have to make sure that the screw hole pattern and outer diameter of any candidate replacement drain cover will mate up with your drain.

A local wholesale pool supply company told me that some people screw something like a 1 inch PVC pipe end cap to the top center of drain cover which sometimes can help cleaner not to get stuck, but I haven't tried that modification yet. I'm still looking around for replacement drain covers.

You have to make sure that the screw hole pattern and outer diameter of any candidate replacement drain cover will mate up with your drain.

A local wholesale pool supply company told me that some people screw something like a 1 inch PVC pipe end cap to the top center of drain cover which sometimes can help cleaner not to get stuck, but I haven't tried that modification yet. I'm still looking around for replacement drain covers.

Yeah, after trying to unscrew my existing cover and failing underwater I think I've concluded that I'm too lazy to drain the pool but not too lazy to return my pool robot and try another.

I have same problem with 30i, called dolphin, they said try different drain cover but would not give name of a specific drain cover. Went back to store where I bought the 30i and the guy there was no help, but he was just a regular employee, not the guy I bought it from, who usually is pretty good. This could be a fantastic cleaner if they would fix a few problems.

If you find the solution post it I am interested.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I suppose that works if you have a blue bottomed pool. At any rate, aren't the dolphin active series supposed to have water jets on the sides that help them turn and help them blast themselves off of the main drains? My smartpool cleaner doesn't get stuck, build quality is like paper and I'm amazed it hasn't broken yet, but it doesn't get stuck. Given these anti vortex drains have been required for 17 years or more, I dont understand why the robot companies have not come up with a solution to this.

At any rate, aren't the dolphin active series supposed to have water jets on the sides that help them turn and help them blast themselves off of the main drains?

They do have strong water jets that could blast them off the bottom, mine can stand up on its trail side, I have seen them make 90 degree turns doing this. I assume the robot does not understand it is stuck, something I think could be corrected with programming. Active 30i gets stuck whether drain is on or off but much more when on.

Given these anti vortex drains have been required for 17 years or more, I dont understand why the robot companies have not come up with a solution to this.

Dolphins customer service has a lot to be desired. Wish this was my only beef with my unit, it really could be a fantastic cleaner if they would fix the bugs and make a few adjustments.

In customer review of ramp drains, it says it keeps moving off the drain, how are they attached to drain?

Re: Temporary Fix that may be permanent for stuck robotic cleaner

I have a dolphin Oasis Z5 that always gets caught up on my Hayward Antivortex drain cover. After reading all the different solutions, some working, some not. I decided to build one. Total cost under $17. I went to Fleet Farm and bought a plastic pot that is used to plant flowers. I think it is about a foot across at the bottom. Went to play-it-again-sports and bought a 10 lb. round free weight. 69 cents a pound. I bolted the free weight in bottom of pot and made a little handle that could be grabbed with a hook. I did drill a few more holes in the pot for water to flow through. I placed it over the drain and left the drain open to still get some suction. I can turn off both skimmers if I want and still have good water flow through the pump. The cleaner now runs into the weighted pot and climbs up a little and then reverses. It did not even budge the pot that is over the drain . I only use this when I am using the dolphin cleaner. Once pool is clean, I turn off the main drain valve and lift the pot out with a hook I made on the end of a long pole. I will attempt to add some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 132
Looks like a good solution, I might have to try that. I just ran my Active 30i for the first time today, It hangs on the drain but only if it hits it dead straight on. If it hits at the slightest bit of an angle, no problem.

Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.