Replacement for AO Smith B228SE

Oct 14, 2016
Virginia Beach
The bearings in my motor went recently and the after removing the motor, and seeing how rusted out the case is, I'm just going to replace the motor instead of the bearings. Is AO Smith now owned by Century? If so, is this the correct motor:

Century A.O. Smith UST1102 56J C-Face 1 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 15.0/7.5A 115/230V

I am also considering a two speed motor, but I'm not sure what the correct replacement would be and I have a couple questions pertaining to their operation. Basically, from what I have read, 2 speed motors are:

1. 230 volt only
2. Operate on low speed all the time unless you need to run a polaris or something?
3. Require a second switch the flip between speeds

I believe my current pump is 120 since there was only a black, a red and a ground wire connection. I don't know how easy it would be to convert if so.

Black, red and ground is usually 230 volts.

115 volts is usually black, white and green.

Most two speed motors are 230 volts, but some are 115 volts.

Two speed motors are usually expensive and it's usually better to replace the pump.

A.O Smith and Century are both owned by Regal beloit.

What exact model is the pump?

Thanks for that. Sorry, the pump is a Hayward Superpump. It don't know exactly what my pump is drawing in electricity, but last fall when we didn't run the A/C, my power bill was $115 running the pool 8 hours a day. I'm guessing we have inexpensive electricity in the area (about 2.1cents per kwh. SE,VA) so that's why i'm inclined to get the cheaper 1 speed replacement.

2.1 cents per kilowatt hour seems low. Are you sure about that?

In any case, you can get a 1 hp total with a SPX2607C impeller or a 3/4 hp total with a SPX2605C impeller or a 1/2 hp total with a SPX2600C impeller.

Total hp is the rated hp x the service factor.

Unless you need the higher flow rate, I would suggest the SPX2605C impeller.

You can put the SPX2605C impeller on a 1 hp total hp motor and that gives you the ability to switch back to a SPX2607C impeller if you feel like you want more flow.

II. MONTHLY RATE
A. Basic Customer Charge
Basic Customer Charge $10.96 per billing month
B. Plus Energy Charge
1. For billing months of June through September: All kWh @ 11.049¢ per kWh
2. For billing months of October through May: All kWh @ 9.557 ¢ per kWh
The energy charges in this schedule contain a base fuel cost of 2.095 cents per kilowatthour.

Last edited:
That's what I was quoting from in my previous post. I don't see where you're getting that the first 800kwh are billed at 2.155c perKwh?

In any case, the impellers are sized based on the total hp of the motor.

II. MONTHLY RATE
A. Basic Customer Charge
Basic Customer Charge $10.96 per billing month
B. Plus Energy Charge
1. For billing months of June through September: All kWh @ 11.049¢ per kWh
2. For billing months of October through May: All kWh @ 9.557 ¢ per kWh
The energy charges in this schedule contain a base fuel cost of 2.095 cents per kilowatthour.

Oh ok thanks.cWhat 2 speed motor would be appropriate?

The montly rate section in the pdf:

II. MONTHLY RATE A. Distribution Service Charges
1. Basic Customer Charge Basic Customer Charge $6.73 per billing month.
2. Plus Distribution kWh Charge
a. Billing Months of June – September First 800 kWh @ 2.1558¢ per kWh Over 800 kWh @ 1.2212¢ per kWh
b. Billing Months of October – May First 800 kWh @ 2.1558¢ per kWh Over 800 kWh @ 1.2212¢ per kWh

You need to add the Distribution charge, the Electric Supply charge, and the Transmission charge all together to get your rate.

This schedule is applicable only to Customers (1) who elect to receive separately metered and billed Electricity Supply Service and Electric Delivery Service from the Company or (2) who are eligible for and elect to purchase Electricity Supply Service from a Competitive Service Provider.

Unless you receive separately metered and billed Electricity Supply Service and Electric Delivery Service, your rates would be as I posted earlier.

In my opinion, buying a replacement two speed or variable speed motor is usually not a good choice unless you can find a really good deal.

Two speed or variable speed motors are usually expensive and you would be better off replacing the whole pump.

For a single speed pump, you can get a 1 hp motor with a SPX2607C impeller or a 3/4 hp motor with a SPX2605C impeller or a 1/2 hp motor with a SPX2600C impeller.

You can put the SPX2605C impeller on a 1 hp total hp motor and that gives you the ability to switch back to a SPX2607C impeller if you feel like you want more flow.

Do you have a heater or solar or an in-floor cleaner?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry one more question. It's probably obvious, but I just want to make sure I understand what you're suggesting with your pump/impeller recommendations. When you mentioned the 3/4 hp motor with a different impeller, is that in an effort to lower energy consumption with a smaller motor, but make up for the loss of power by switching out the impeller for one that flows more? I'm not at home so I'm not sure what impeller I have, but I'm sure it's whatever came with the pump by default.

The impeller is sized to the total hp of the motor.

If the total hp of the current motor is 1.0 hp, then you probably have a SPX2607C impeller.

If you went to a 3/4 hp total motor, you would have to replace the impeller with a SPX2605C impeller so that you don't overload the motor.

The SPX2605C impeller is a smaller impeller and moves less water. So, it puts less load on the motor.

If you like the flow rate of your current impeller, you have to replace the motor with the same size as you have now.

Most pool pumps are too big and waste a lot of electricity.

If you went to a SPX2605C instead of a SPX2607C, your power use would drop from about 1,000 watts to about 750 watts.

Last edited:
The volume of the pool isn't that important unless it's super big.

Unless you need high flow for a heater, you can usually go with a SPX2605C impeller.

If you use a 1.0 hp motor with a SPX2605C impeller, that will work and it gives you the ability to switch back to a SPX2607C impeller if you want more flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.