Replacement Breaker for Equipment pad

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
My equipment pad is fed by a 220 line from a 20 amp double pole breaker in the main panel in the house. The breaker in the box at the pad is a double pole 50 amp gfci breaker. Well that breaker failed today and will not reset so it will be replaced. my question is should it be replaced by another 50 amp GFCI breaker, or should it be a 20 amp GFCI breaker? If the breaker in the house protects everything before the breaker from faults after the breaker shouldn't that limit how much current is allowed downstream? Correct me if I have it wrong.
Thanks.
// P.S. yes I verified the breaker is the problem I swapped it with a 15 amp double pole breaker temporarily. but that isn't staying ( just trouble shooting).

Breakers are there to protect the wiring, not the devices.

A 20 amp breaker will protect 12 gauge wire or smaller.

The 50 amp breaker is to protect the load in the subpanel.

Post pics of the box at the pad.

What equipment is powered by the box T the pad?

Reactions: MJCP
box on right is fed from main panel in basement on a 20 amp DP breaker 240 v. Pretty sure the wires are 12 gauge, definitely not 14 but too flexible to be 10. (there is also a separate 120 line in the conduit that leaves the box on the right and feeds a separate box for the light), 240 feeds timer on left, which operates pump and heater.
Thanks again,

From your response I'm still thinking I should replace it with a 20 amp rather than a 50 since the wiring is only 12 gauge.

mjcp1.jpg

Agreed l. That box should have a 20A CB, preferably GFCI.

Reactions: MJCP
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.