Replacement Bestway AGP - thinking of using the pump from my old one for through wall skimmer

charles_slc

May 30, 2018
Fruit Heights, UT
We had a Costco 9x18 Bestway for about 6 years, the liner and many of the poles were done at the end of last season. So into the landfill it went. Have a new Costco Bestway 12x20 to set up this year. Was never real happy with the over the side skimmer, going to add a through the wall Hayward wide mouth in the new pool.
Was thinking about using my old pump for the skimmer, possibly with a fountain as TA was always a problem in my pool.
Old pump is a INTEX 26643EG SX1500 Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, purchased when I couldn't find a replacement lid for the leaf catcher on the original Bestway pump.
Anybody see any issue with this idea? Thoughts on which end of the oval to place the skimmer? I think it has to be an end as those are pretty much vertical whereas there is some slope to the sides.
Also thinking about doing some hard piping this time around. Any advice for that?

Thank you!

Anybody see any issue with this idea?
I don't see a problem as I believe the Intex and Bestway products (fittings) are somewhat interchangeable. You posted this Friday. Did you already complete the new install?

Interesting, I had not thought of that. That would probably be the western end. Which is also the end with deck and stairs. Found a pic of the old pool.
Thinking maybe the panel behind my son. The factory intakes and returns will be on the right hand side.
New return eyeball left-hand side? Would be diagonal from the factory return but kind of across from the factory intakes.
Maybe with a Circulator installed...

1716994183397.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi :)

While I have not worked specifically with Bestway I will go on the assumption that you have a "nut" that will screw on to the pump either from the adapter you show in another post or a previously used hose.

Goal: Connect the pump's 40mm connection and convert it to PVC with the least number of connections.

This is going to take a little fabrication but, in the end, less connections = less chance of leaks ;)

First you want to buy (2) parts.

and

With the 1-1/2in PVC Schedule 40 MPT x S Male Adapter, you want to cut off the threaded section leaving a flange. You can use a hack saw to do this. Next use some sandpaper and smooth down the flange so it is smooth. Next you will need to round off the adapter, so the edges are not hexagon. This just needs to slip into the nut mentioned and free spin without hitting the sides so it does not need to be perfect. Now slip the nut over this piece and you can now glue the coupling giving you a 1-piece solution with no clamps. Just make sure you do not slide the Male adapter you just made all the way into the coupler. You want the nut to be able to free spin so you can connect it to your pump.

I did this back when I used an Intex pump and started my PVC journey. The only different was I used a conduit adapter vs the Male adapter I am showing. The Male adapter gives you a slightly larger flange giving you a better overall connection.

Hope that made sense...

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
There is this one to... And while searching around, there are other adaptations.. Go search in youtube or on google intex pvc adapters.. Theres a bunch I never saw before

1:40 if it doesnt start there

Thanks all, I ended up just going with the bestway hoses for now... With the GAME adapters I found locally.
1000090374.jpg

Also found this SP0729 type adapter, seemed like a good choice but the hose isn't sealing well. Also the adapter itself seems to be leaking. Guess I should have used more Teflon tape.
1000090375.jpg
1000090376.jpg

May have to see if I can get a different hose.
Thoughts?

Last edited: