Replaced water. Went from clear to cloudy with flip of a switch.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have been fighting a cloudy pool for a week. It shifted overnight basically. After testing I was told to reduce CYA to 30. So I spent the last 2 days draining while filling.
Unfortunately I ran out of CYA reagent but based on my calculations and estimates I should be close to 30-40. I have to wait till Monday to know for sure so test results are pending.

However my water without filtration running was crystal clear. Within 2 minutes of turning the pump back on the water instantly turned cloudy, looking just like before. It looks like I never did anything which is very frustrating.

What in my filter could possibly do this? There is no DE in the pool and I serviced it before opening as always.

Its almost like my filter is doing the opposite of what it is supposed to.

Have you recently replaced your MPV?

Post pics of your filter and MPV.

If there was debris settled on the floor of the pool after draining and refilling turning the pump on could have stirred up the debris. Sometimes a hairline crack in the grids or grid manifold will allow DE to pass through when the filter is under pressure. These types of cracks are very easy to miss when the filter is not pressurized. If you have not checked the grids since the initial servicing when you opened this year, take them out and look at them very closely, and check the grid manifold and center pipe as well. You can also try turning off the pump and turning it on again while holding a sock over the return to see if any DE is escaping when the pump is powered up.

I don’t think I have any DE escaping. I’ve filled a bucket from the pool slide and I found nothing in the bucket.

Water is somewhat clearer after filter running overnight but not as clear as I would like:

Attachments

• 3365F05C-F5D9-4F70-8930-373BC1B5EFEE.jpeg
    3365F05C-F5D9-4F70-8930-373BC1B5EFEE.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 06499A81-2D43-4558-A443-30168AEC63C1.jpeg
    06499A81-2D43-4558-A443-30168AEC63C1.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.