Replaced 1HP motor with 2 HP motor....motor shuts off after a few minutes

Sipster

May 1, 2020
Folsom, CA
My 1 HP motor for my waterfall pump died. The pump is a pre 2005 Jandy (PHP 1.0). Motor is an A.O. Smith 1 HP. I was able to get an A.O.Smith 2 HP motor for real cheap from a pool guy. He assured me it would be fine to install in my pump. It does seem to work fine except that after a few minutes, the motor just shuts off. Then, it will come back on for a few minutes and shut off again.

Does that sound like a bad motor or an issue with my pump's diffuser or impeller? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thermal cutouts usually take a few minutes to restart, but a run capacitor (if it has one) can cycle back on much quicker.
Many things can cause a thermal cutout, not just a loose wire, although that could do it, I guess. Can't say I have ever run into that, but it's possible.
Is the motor the same voltage? Or, if dual voltage, is it wired correctly?
Are the valves open?
What is the amp draw of the new motor? What breaker is it on? Is anything else on that breaker?
Are you using your original impeller and diffuser, or did you go up to 2hp with them as well?

Do you have a picture of the original motor label and the new motor label?

Was it a Jandy "Waterfall" pump?

Waterfall pumps run at 1725 rpm. If you replace the motor with a regular 3450 rpm motor, the impeller spins too fast and uses too much power.

What is the exact model number of the pump?

What is the part number of the impeller?

What is the rpm listed from the old motor?

Is the correct voltage being applied?

Does the motor spin easily?

Was it a used motor?

Last edited:
Thermal cutouts usually take a few minutes to restart, but a run capacitor (if it has one) can cycle back on much quicker.
Many things can cause a thermal cutout, not just a loose wire, although that could do it, I guess. Can't say I have ever run into that, but it's possible.
Is the motor the same voltage? Or, if dual voltage, is it wired correctly?
Are the valves open?
What is the amp draw of the new motor? What breaker is it on? Is anything else on that breaker?
Are you using your original impeller and diffuser, or did you go up to 2hp with them as well?

There is no label on the motor so not sure about the specs. Definitely wired exactly like my old one.
Valves are open. Using original impeller and diffuser.

Do you have a picture of the original motor label and the new motor label?

Was it a Jandy "Waterfall" pump?

Waterfall pumps run at 1725 rpm. If you replace the motor with a regular 3450 rpm motor, the impeller spins too fast and uses too much power.

What is the exact model number of the pump?

What is the part number of the impeller?

What is the rpm listed from the old motor?

Is the correct voltage being applied?

Does the motor spin easily?

Was it a used motor?

No, not a waterfall pump. Regular pump used for waterfall feature. The pump is a Jandy HHPlus PHP1.0
Not sure if impeller part number. Assuming it is the original. Pump was installed in 2003.
RPM from old motor is 3450
Motor spins just fine
Yes, it is a used motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no label on the motor so not sure about the specs
???????
Red flag right there. You don't even know the voltage of that motor. For a dual voltage, it is the motor internal wiring that gets changed, not where you put your power wires.
Can you post a really close up pic of the wiring compartment? Perhaps one of us can figure it out.
From the timing you describe, it is the thermal cutout. Being wired at the wrong voltage can definitely overheat it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.