Replace the pump or the motor?

May 21, 2015
Lexington NC
Hi! This is my 1st time posting although I've been using these forums for so many years! I have a 16x32 inground pool with a sand filter. Unfortunately I lost my husband a few years ago and have been trying to take care of this pool by myself. I think my pump motor is dead.
We replaced the motor at least 10 years ago, and my husband had it repaired for some reason at least 5 yrs ago. I noticed that I had super suction in the skimmer the other day to where I couldn't even remove the skimmer basket without turning of the pump. I noticed when I turned the pump back on, it hummed for a second before starting. It was also screachy for a few minutes. Today the thing is overheating and flipping the breaker. I'm guessing my old equipment needs to be replaced. I have a friend who can install a new motor, but I don't know what to buy. I also don't know if I should just replace the motor or replace the whole pump. Also, everything on ebay is cheaper - is that a good or bad idea?

The label on my motor reads:
UST1102
Model c48k2n143c1c
115/230 volts
1HP
3450 RPM
15.0/7.5 amps
SF 1.1
60 HZ
56J FR
Any help at all is appreciated!

~Tracy

Tracy, I'm sorry you're in this pickle having to deal with this. Your current pump looks to be a single speed pump..... am i right? If so, you're using a lot of electricity to run that pump and since last year the gov't wants pumps to be Variable Speed. They have all the power but you can run them slower and still get all the water movement you want but save a ton of cash.

Does your pool have any water features? Spa?? Heater?? I see you said sand filter- do you know what size?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks! I can't see the label on the pump anymore, but I vaguely remember the name super pump? I've attached pictures. I've also attached the filter's label. There aren't water features. I read a little about variable speed pumps saving electricity, but unless there's a more compelling reason to get one, I'd rather stick with what I've got for now.

Attachments

• 20220731_181142.jpg
    20220731_181142.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220731_181040.jpg
    20220731_181040.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220731_181101.jpg
    20220731_181101.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Tracy22NC
Like they said above seals for pump and new VS motor. I don't know if there is a scenario where you would replace a perfectly good pump. Its just to easy to replace motor with a VS.
If you plan on living there for more than 1 year buy a VS motor. Don't replace with two speed or single speed. They are too loud and to expensive.

Last edited:
So, I bought the century 1 hp UST1102 motor from the inyopool link above, and it worked perfectly for a day. After a power outage with a storm, I checked to see that the pump was back on and running smoothly. The pump is off and will not do a thing. No noise or anything. I checked and reset the breaker and still nothing. I plugged in something else to that outdoor plug and it works fine. I don't know if the power outage had anything to do with it or if something else happened before or after the storm as I had not checked on the motor for a few hours before or after the storm. I have no idea what to do or troubleshoot next. I also don't know if my 1yr warranty applies. It was wired exactly as the old one was at 115. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.