Replace sand filter with cartridge filter?

benmccurdy

Apr 5, 2020
Alexandria, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.
If my sand filter is doing fine, is there any reason to convert to a cartridge filter? Any advantages. I would think it filters more efficiently and it’s easier to clean and easier to replace then sand but I’m not sure. Any thoughts?

The only real advantage I can see, and this is coming from a sand filter owner, is that it takes less water to wash cartridge filters if not horribly dirty than to bacwash/rinse. If algae is present you'll be cleaning them far more than normal based on pressure rise,

YET- Skimmer socks help both filters avoid a great deal of debris since the sock captures it before it gets to the filter.
AND- Pool DE can be added to a sand filter to improve is filtering abilities

Sand almost *never* needs replacing- that's just a crummy lie pool stores tell you to sell you new sand. You can deep clean your sand every year or two.

Maddie :bounce:

I just switched from a sand filter to cartridge filter because I no longer have anywhere to run the backwash to, I used to pump the water into the wooded lot nextdoor but a new house is going in, and I can't run the water on the lawn (chlorine and grass don't mix)
New Hayward filter works better than the sand filter did and time will tell how often I will have to clean the cartridge, but so far I'm pleased with the change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.