Replace rusty return jets near steps?


New member
May 12, 2020
Marietta, Georgia
Hello. Was hoping to get some advice regarding these metal returns around my steps (one on each side). It appears to me that are rusting and causing the discoloration on the steps. The other returns in our pool are plastic and held in by 4 screws. I was hoping I could find plastic replacement for these.

My questions for the forum are should I replace them and if so how can I remove them (I couldn't seem to twist off by hand) and how can I identify a suitable replacement part.

Thanks so much!


Pool Clown

In The Industry
Sep 5, 2008
Silicon Valley, CA
I dont think the fitting is causing the discoloration on the steps. Water chemistry may be the cause of this. That fitting appears to be jet with a one piece housing. What makes me think that is the air inlet valve above it up on the edge of the pool. There is probably no way to replace that fitting (housing) short of knocking out the deck and accessing it from the back. If you needed to replace just the jet (the insides), some jet fittings are replaceable from the front with a specialized tool.


TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Agree those are nutted from the back usually cant replace from front. I can't see from pic the insides. Often those type of jets have removable insides using a long hex key or square drive