Replace pump, or just the motor?

zombielinux

May 27, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I've got a 1.5HP Hayward single speed pump.
It works just fine, but being a single speed pump, it consumes quite a bit of power.

I've been looking at replacing the pump in its entirety, but have recently come across the A.O. Smith/Centurion/??? V-Green motors.
I know they'll bolt right up to my existing pump head, and my automation system can handle them. My only issue is the reviews of it seem sparse.

Does anyone have any experience/advice if I should just bite the bullet and get a whole new pump? Or if I should go after just replacing the motor? Experience with these motors would be tremendously helpful too.

Work out the energy cost of the single per year, add the cost of a new motor. Calculate 5 years.

Look at the cost per year and purchase price of a VSP. Calculate 5 years.

My experience with VSP they are good for start up, vacuuming, or backwashing, and then spend the day on half speed. If you use a robot, or have a cartridge filter, it could be argued a single speed pump that turns the pool over 1.5 times is all that is needed. My VSP does this at 1750rpm after 3050 start up.

I have a cartridge filter but manually vacuum. The cost of the VSP pump worked out better than a single plus robot or suction cleaner.

I've got a 1.5HP Hayward single speed pump.
It works just fine, but being a single speed pump, it consumes quite a bit of power.

I've been looking at replacing the pump in its entirety, but have recently come across the A.O. Smith/Centurion/??? V-Green motors.
I know they'll bolt right up to my existing pump head, and my automation system can handle them. My only issue is the reviews of it seem sparse.

Does anyone have any experience/advice if I should just bite the bullet and get a whole new pump? Or if I should go after just replacing the motor? Experience with these motors would be tremendously helpful too.
What automation do you have? The new V-Green motors work very differently from the first models. It may be better to get a new pump that is compatible with your automation just to save some trouble.

Work out the energy cost of the single per year, add the cost of a new motor. Calculate 5 years.

Look at the cost per year and purchase price of a VSP. Calculate 5 years.

My experience with VSP they are good for start up, vacuuming, or backwashing, and then spend the day on half speed. If you use a robot, or have a cartridge filter, it could be argued a single speed pump that turns the pool over 1.5 times is all that is needed. My VSP does this at 1750rpm after 3050 start up.

I have a cartridge filter but manually vacuum. The cost of the VSP pump worked out better than a single plus robot or suction cleaner.

I've got a robot, but use a sand filter and a salt cell. So longer run times help me out by not burning out the salt cell.
I've also done the 5 year math, and using my current run times to keep the pool clean, the motor breaks even in about 8 months, and the full pump in about a year and a half.

What automation do you have? The new V-Green motors work very differently from the first models. It may be better to get a new pump that is compatible with your automation just to save some trouble.
nodejs-poolController. As long as it speaks RS485, I can make it work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.