Replace my ClearWater II Catridge pump and filter with a Hayward DE setup?

Hello TFP!

One of my neighbors discarded a nice looking Hayward pump and filter combo. Since my current Clearwater II is a pita, I picked this thing up with the hopes of swapping things out.

Here are picts of both the old and the new Pool Pump and Filter - Album on Imgur

Will this work for my setup? I'm new to DE, so don't know if this has enough capacity for my size pool?

Anything I need to do to disinfect the heck out of this? Like can I seriously get some kind of communicable disease if I use a pump that's been sitting and had lots of black gunk in the filter basket?

Or should I just trash it and spend $$ on a new setup.

BTW, this only cost me a bottle of wine - gave it him for helping me out.

am,

Looks like it would work to me... But...

1. Why did he get rid of it?
2. What is the status of the grids inside the filter?
3. A single speed pump will cost more to run.
4. If your current filter needs cleaning too often, the DE one will be worse. If your filter gets dirty quickly, it is not a filter problem..
5. A normal cleaning would be fine
6. I hope it was a bottle of cheap wine... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

am,

Looks like it would work to me... But...

1. Why did he get rid of it?
It isn't his - the guy next to him sold the house, contractor bought it to flip, and took the pool apart; gave it to him. He was planning on bringing it in for scrap metal?

2. What is the status of the grids inside the filter?
Haven't had the time nor the gall to open this thing, that's more of a weekend project.

3. A single speed pump will cost more to run.
My other one is full bore, 100% of the time, and costs a fortune. Even though it is two speed capable, previous owner had to get it re-wired and now it only supports ON or OFF.

4. If your current filter needs cleaning too often, the DE one will be worse. If your filter gets dirty quickly, it is not a filter problem..
No - it's actually very good at that. I only clean it maybe 1 time a season, and then once again at end of or during opening .

5. A normal cleaning would be fine
This scares me the most. I feel like i need to douse it in bleach and then some.

6. I hope it was a bottle of cheap wine... :p
I buy this stuff by the pallet (not the case) and spend about $8/bottle. But, do you say that because this is not that good of setup? Is my crappy ClearWater II NOT so crappy? I should say, the filter itself isn't bad. I just hate the noisy and expensuve to run pump.

Thanks for posting,
Thanks for replying!

Jim R.[/QUOTE]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.