bjohannes

May 11, 2017
East Gwillimbury ON
My Hayward 250k BTU NG heater is nearly toast. The heat exchanger started leaking last year, and my epoxy putty patch fixes only seem to hold for a few months at a time. I'm eyeing the Rapyak Avia 264k BTU unit as a replacement. The "NiTek" (nickel-plated copper?) heat exchanger option is appealing, but I can't seem to find it in Canada. Should I bother with trying to source one from the U.S., or is the standard copper heat exchanger sufficient?

And are there other units worth considering?

Attachments

• 70681882624__DB1A9633-37AD-419A-8F4A-B9E47D6A2E16.jpg
    70681882624__DB1A9633-37AD-419A-8F4A-B9E47D6A2E16.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 11
The "NiTek" (nickel-plated copper?) heat exchanger option is appealing, but I can't seem to find it in Canada. Should I bother with trying to source one from the U.S., or is the standard copper heat exchanger sufficient?

If you maintain good water chemistry the cooper heat exchanger should work fine.

Pentair MasterTemp, Hayward H-Series, Jandy JXI, and Avia heaters are all alike. They have minor feature differneces. Get whichever one is best supported and serviced in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: bjohannes
Do all modern heaters automatically bypass the heat exchanger when the heater is not running?
Such a bypass is not standard in any pool heater model. Jandy offers the optional Versaflo. Pentair has an external valve thst can be installed.

Does a bypass extend the life of the heat exchanger significantly?

The jury is out on that. If you maintain your water chemistry well then probably not.

Jandy gives a 5 year warranty on the heat exchanger with the Versaflo bypass instead of a 1 year warranty.

The benefit is less energy use when the heater is not on. Jandy says:

• The heater is typically only used 3.5% of average annual pump runtime, the other 96.5% of the time the heat exchanger can be bypassed.
  • JXi™ with VersaFlo activates the built-in flow bypass valve based on call for heat to avoid running water through the heat exchanger when water does not need to be heated.
  • Variable-speed pumps can be run at lower speeds, requiring considerably less electricity, thereby providing for significantly reduced electricity costs

Reactions: bjohannes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.