Replace Flow or New SWG

Apr 9, 2018
St Augustine Fl
Hi All - question; the flow light has been red for a few weeks, so I purchased a new flow switch. Before replacing it, I did the test by cutting the wire and twisting the red and black wires together. Turned the cell back on and the light remained red. From what I understand, that means the cell is bad. Does this all sound right? Anything I'm missing? Really wasn't looking forward to spending $800 to replace, it's only 3 years old. Thanks for your expertise!

Rock,

Just to be clear.. You connected the Red and Black wires coming from the cell going the flow switch?? Not the wires coming from the flow switch..

If that is what you did, I don't see how installing a new flow switch will help. Shorting the wires together is the same thing as closing the flow switch.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Check Marina Pool Spa and Polytec Pools. Prices last I checked were under $700. A replacement cell gets a 2 year warranty regardless from where you buy it from.

Thank you guys for recommending Polytec! Received my new cell today, installed, nice to see those green lights! Question about CYA - was reading in the Pentair user guide that they recommend levels of 30-50ppm, however, the app recommends 60-90, which is what I've aimed for when testing. Is there a reason Pentair is lower? The higher CYA allows me to select a lower output on the SWG right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rock,

30 to 50 is the standard CYA for a non-saltwater pool.. We recommend a higher CYA for saltwater pools so that you can run the SWCG at a little lower output.

The higher CYA is not a problem for the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok makes sense. So looking back at my logs I think I maintained too high a level of FC and too low of CYA. I am going to adjust my levels to 2-4 FC and around 70 CYA. I had my output level at 20% which was probably too high. I’m going to start this one at 2% and see what happens.

Rock,

Your CYA and FC need to be kept in the proper ratio per this chart.. See the saltwater section... FC/CYA Levels

I personally do not try to keep my FC between the minimum and the target.. I try to keep my FC at my target or slightly higher.. This way, if I go to sleep at the switch, I always have a margin of safety.. I look at the minimum as a cliff that I never want to fall off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.