Replace DE filter, question on vari-flow valve

gkran

Feb 20, 2008
I am about to replace my Hayward DE-6000 filter. ( the bulkheads leak, have a hole in some grids, can't buy parts anymore).

I plan on buying the Hayward Pro Grid DE-6020. If there is a strong reason against this model let me know your opinion. (I figure the devil I know, and I was happy with the DE-6000, unless there is a model with easier maintenance).

My question is the backwash valve. I currently have a vari-flow valve that is so faded that I don't know the part number. I see new filters have a slide valve or the option to buy several types of vari-flow valve. My questions:
- are the vari-flow valves better than the slide?
- I see different model valves from Hayward (SP0710XR50, SP0715XR50, SP0710X62). Is there a choice or does only one fit the current pipes?

I have had the 6020 at both the pools I have owned.
If I had to replace it, I would likely go with a large cartridge filter.

Vari-flow valves provide a LOT more control, like ability to recirculate or pump to waste.

I am not sure about the different models though ... there is a difference between the valves for DE vs. sand filters. May also be valves for 1.5" vs 2" plumbing.

Thanks. I have been looking into the valves and am having trouble finding a match.

I have 2-inch pipes, and my current multi-port valve is maybe a 4-way valve?? (see below) It has the pump pipe coming in from the left side and the return pipe going out to the right ( there is another valve after this to select drain or heater). The pipe out the back goes in the top filter port and the pipe out the front is connected to the bottom filter port.

Most valves have the pump and return on the same side of the valve and waste out the other side. This would require having the return (or pump) pipe make a 180 turn to connect to the rest of the system.

Would piping in the typical new valves (with a 180 ) be worse as for as flow?
Would it be better to use a slide valve where the pump and return make a 90 degree turn?
Or does anyway know of a similar 4 way valve (I am still looking)

img - 1 (1).jpg

There are three multi port valves available for the Hayward DE filter. SP0710XR50 (1/2" threaded ports, 6 position sand filter valve adapted for the DE) SP0715XR50 (2" threaded valve, 6 position sand filter valve adapted for DE) The third one is my choice unless having a threaded valve and closed position is a must. SP0740DE (2" socket weld valve with 4 positions designed for Hayward DE filters) this valve has less flow restrictions and has two choices for pump intake depending on where the valve is located on the pad. The four positions are, filter, backwash, vac to waste and a position call pool or spa boast that by passed the filter. Does not have the closed or rinse position. Three choices.

The valve you have is an old Mark Urban stacked valve made for DE.

Reactions: CYAteMyCl
There are three multi port valves available for the Hayward DE filter. SP0710XR50 (1/2" threaded ports, 6 position sand filter valve adapted for the DE) SP0715XR50 (2" threaded valve, 6 position sand filter valve adapted for DE) The third one is my choice unless having a threaded valve and closed position is a must. SP0740DE (2" socket weld valve with 4 positions designed for Hayward DE filters) this valve has less flow restrictions and has two choices for pump intake depending on where the valve is located on the pad. The four positions are, filter, backwash, vac to waste and a position call pool or spa boast that by passed the filter. Does not have the closed or rinse position. Three choices.

The valve you have is an old Mark Urban stacked valve made for DE.
Thanks for this!!!
Makes me wish I had the 3rd one ... hard to prevent drips on the threaded valves and I never use closed. Although I do alternate the rinse and backwash when cleaning the filter. But, I am almost to the point where I do not backwash and just tear it down for a good cleaning each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.