Wilmington NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
We purchased a house a few years ago with an existing 14k gallon above ground pool and salt system, we believe the system is 2005(ish) the turbocell glx-tcell-5 has failed. Finding a few months ago was challenging and I am back on the hunt. The software version is r 1.4 and it appears using a t15 is an option but those are looking about $900 right now. Looking at total replacements it seems the replacement system for mine comes with only a t3 cell and I want to stick to the recommended oversized generator. At the cost of the t15 (if that will indeed work) it seems it may not be a bad idea to replace everything, but if only small options are available would a system for an inground pool work. or should I just try to find a t5 cell. This site has been a great help btw! Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230219_101500.jpg
    20230219_101500.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_101453.jpg
    20230219_101453.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_101532.jpg
    20230219_101532.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 7
If you’re going to completely replace you may want to look at the circupool options.
You definitely want a system/cell that is rated for 30k gal or higher.
Here’s a good comparison chart to compare prices, outputs, warranties etc
I have also made a chart recently including some lesser known yet popular budget models to help with my own decision making.
D7D81B23-2FB0-4EC6-BBFC-9871746FF469.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

You have an Aquatrol RJ that hangs the cell right off the return hole on the pool to exhaust any hydrogen gas into the pool and does not need a flow switch.

Is your pump plugged into the Aquatrol control panel and controlled by the built in time clock?

No other SWG gives you these features and changing SWGs will require replumbing and rewiring around your pool.

If your cell is depleted and your control panel works fine then just replace the cell.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you’re going to completely replace you may want to look at the circupool options.
I have also made a chart recently including some lesser known yet popular budget models to help with my own decision making.
View attachment 474006
This is great, and saves me some time if move that direction

Welcome to TFP.

You have an Aquatrol RJ that hangs the cell right off the return hole on the pool to exhaust any hydrogen gas into the pool and does not need a flow switch.

Is your pump plugged into the Aquatrol control panel and controlled by the built in time clock?

No other SWG gives you these features and changing SWGs will require replumbing and rewiring around your pool.

If your cell is depleted and your control panel works fine then just replace the cell.
It is, control panel functions however the pump is not controlled by it, at some point before me it looks as though that wiring burned up, it is currently operating off an external timer. Hence the thoughts of a total replacement, not sure if all the rest is in "great" shape. rewire and replumbing are not super concerning to me if the need arises.

View attachment 474006
IC20/40/60 warranty is 2 years.

AE17BA2F-6555-484B-A1D0-4CA000BDA60E.png

IC20/40/60 warranty is 2 years.

View attachment 474046
It shows the replacement cell is & then there’s the e commerce clause but some complete units show 1yr if diy/ eCommerce then some retailers (like doheny) show 3yrs. Hard to know who to believe until you actually inquire about warranty service.
774B111A-4045-4C51-B63E-A2C9F4C84095.jpeg
EDAB06F4-C697-4931-A48F-BBB84B0F6B07.jpeg

It shows the replacement cell is & then there’s the e commerce clause but some complete units show 1yr if diy/ eCommerce then some retailers (like doheny) show 3yrs. Hard to know who to believe until you actually inquire about warranty service.
View attachment 474054
View attachment 474055
It is 2 years.

The Limited Warranty blue page does not apply to the cell.

The manual is an old document that they do not update.

Their website is the current warranty for products bought today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 years on cell. Maybe 1 year on Power Center.

You can call Pentair to confirm if you are considering buying.
That was my thought since the site states this
9EA2D5AE-2A52-41F7-B07C-A9B651E5316B.jpeg
Since I created the chart with purchasing an entire swg system in mind I listed it that way. I will edit it to show the cell has 2yrs. Warranty is definitely a major factor in the decision for most who are thinking of dropping that much $ on a product.

And people should note that Pentair warranty handling is better then most others in that they often send an authorized tech out versus most others who want you to ship the defective cell to them to be examined.

Hayward also has good cell warranty in that the warranty years is on the serial number and you can bring it to an authorized Pool Store and be given a replacement cell.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.