Repairing the deck portion above the rail

My pool and deck are about 15 years old. We had the deck put above the rails so that nobody would step on the top rails. And so we thought this was a good idea. However, the downside of this design is that the moisture seems to hang around the wood. Also, the deck has sunk about an inch over these past 15 years, so I've had to trim the 2x4's over the years to keep the faceboard and joists from hitting the rails. I guess they are about 2x3's now in the areas over the pool rails (ha ha).
And we are still on the original liner (knock on wood), but I expect to be replacing it in the next few years.
Anyway, I need to replace or at least reinforce the joists over the pool rails. I am asking for advice whether I need to extend the replacement back over the rails or if I can rebuild it outside the rails. There is about a 4"drop from the deck to the top of the rails.

Thanks!

1663109796059.png

Perhaps you may just add joists to the area outside the rails for support now & put the deck boards back on, then when you go to replace the liner it would already be there. I assume you mean the top rails would need to be removed to replace the liner, at which time you would need to cut those boards out & replace them or rework them. You really don’t want the deck pressing on the top rails.
If this were around the whole pool I would not fool with it separately- I would do the deck & the liner at the same time.
Fwiw - my top rails are exposed & its not a problem. Since our deck has settled/warped in varying ways the top rails are above the deck in some places & even with it in others. I do have the steps placed dead center of an upright for additional support when people get in & out. The kids know to only step on an upright & not hang out on the rails.

The sinking of the deck made me think, why not raise the deck to get to those rails? Just a short term lifting of the deck. This way you can both re-support the deck at a preferred height and access the rail. Think of those foundation leveling Jack's that screw. For leveling a mobile building

The sinking of the deck made me think, why not raise the deck to get to those rails? Just a short term lifting of the deck. This way you can both re-support the deck at a preferred height and access the rail. Think of those foundation leveling Jack's that screw. For leveling a mobile building
Interesting, but, based on the condition of the wood all around, I am going to remove the supports to about a couple of feet back. Then I'm going to rebuild that portion using hinges to be able to lift that portion of the deck over the rails. (putting together the plans now, and will work on it after the pool is fully closed, and some other projects).

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.