Repair starite - still chugging (new ?s added on post #12)

Re: Repair starite - still chugging (new ?s added on post #1

don't think so, how could I tell?

Do you think I'd probably need to at least replace all the o-rings and shaft seal in the whisperflo to use it?

Look at the back cover and see if it has a switch that has 3 positions.. Also it'll be listed on the nameplate as being two different hps and speeds. Like 3450 / 1725 rpm.

If it is a 2-speed I'd definitely install it. If it was put up running I doubt you need to do anything to it to get it running. You can take the back cover off and try to spin it by hand or even hook it up temporarly just to see if it'll run a few seconds.

I'm off to the plumbing store for supplies (don't have any unions and I want to put them in when I cut in). I don't have a shut off valve before the pump and figured I should probably put one in while I can, right? What's the best kind? Ball, jandy???

Also, I have 1.5 inch pipe coming from the pool to a 90 degree elbow, more 1.5 in pipe to a reducer (or increaser?), then 2" pipe which ends threaded into the pump. I haven't been able to locate any leaks along there, but should I cut out all the fittings back to the 1.5" pipe coming out of the ground just to start fresh? Or should I not worry about those joints and just cut in close to the pump?

Jandy valves are the best because they cause less restriction. If you're sure there are no leaks then I wouldn't cut out anything but what's required.

Just wanted to update in case anyone wondered...

I cut out all the PVC joints leading to the pump and took the entire pump in to the pool store to be tested (to be sure I wasn't crazy!). They suggested that since the return pipe was leaking (due to the heat from dry running they guessed -- and I'm sure they're right), that surely the intake pipe had a leak as well. I replumbed the pump back in fresh and no leaks!! :-D

I still have to deal with my leaking sand filter, but that will be another day. :wink:

Thank you for holding my hand through all of this!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.