Repair separation tank lip with JB waterweld

Jul 16, 2014
Westport, CT
Just curious on folks opinion. I have a separation tank (I know I can do without one and just send to waste but I have no where to drain/dump to on my property) that has some damage on the lip of the tank.
I wondered if based on the photos, I might get away with applying some waterweld, roughly molding it to shape the missing parts of the lip, and then sanding it to final shape.
IMG_9641.jpgIMG_9640.jpg

The waterweld is supposed to harden, will bond to plastic/pvc, and should be resistant to chems used (only liquid chlorine). I can't imagine that pressure will be an issue as it's supposed to hold up to 1300 psi, and the tank generates, what, 10-20 psi?

Can anyone suggest a reason why this won't work before I hurt myself? :) Thanks!

I know you are right. Just can't get over the feeling that these tanks, that are outdated at this time, are exorbitantly expensive. I'd hate to hate to buy a whole new one.
The thing is made of plastic, so isn't anything sophisticated so just pisses me off. I suppose the alternative is just to get a backwash hose and spray out the de into a large bag (possibly even the same filter bag). Messy, but same concept...

Just had another idea... found a listing for an old tank for a Hayward StarClear Plus cartridge filter available online.
It looks strangely,... similar to the DE separation tank on the Hayward web page, Hayward even uses the same exact photo on the respective information web pages.

Do you think I can purchase a filter tank and utilize it with the de collection bag just as if it were a separation tank?

Separation tank description: ProGrid DE Separation Tank | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products
Filter tank description: StarClear™ Plus | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products

Thanks again!

N,
You can try anything, but remember that the users here are concerned w safety, then functionality. If you truly like the original set-up, then I would purchase the same thing...try building a sun/UV cover over your equipment to protect from the elements. Remember the wise adage, "you get what you pay for"...

Finally, I would in no way use JB weld for that much repair. These products are for touch-up/minor repairs, not reconstructive surgery. Nothing wrong w being thrifty, but both safety and reliability are pivotal in your final solution - good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.