Repair Plaster ? for Gunite Pool

Jun 9, 2013
Monroe, LA
So I've got a 16K gallon Gunite pool that is about 15yrs old and we love it. It's starting to show signs of needing a re-plaster, but I just survived my daughter's wedding and can't shell out that kind of coin until I recover in Spring. I have a large "deck" or "layout" step on entry (1' to 1.5' below the water line) that has about a 3'x3' delamination area that has begun to open a hole in the plaster. My pool company won't repair it, as they say that they have not had good luck with plaster repairs. Called a couple other companies and since they didn't install the pool, their schedules are centered on building pools right now, andnI get the impression that they would rather do a $16K-$18K replaster versus the repair.

So I would ask this forum for advice.

I've ordered the Pool Patch plaster repair, and was planning to drain the pool down just below the step. Not a major drain to reduce any hydrostatic pressure change and thereby increase the plaster cracking. Put me a backer board to reduce any chips flying into water, and get busy with the repair.

My question...Are others having success with repairs this size or am I just wasting time/money and should do the overall replaster. I'm afraid if I don't get this repaired, then it will create a larger problem with the underlying concrete.

Would welcome advice.

Attachments

• Pool Crack.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 70
Hey there 'trick.
The pic you posted shows cracking extending out from the area that has failed. That is all going to have to be taken out. So it doesn't look like a small patchable area to me. There is no scale so I'm not sure if the extent of the picture is 6 inches or 6 feet. but my gut feeling is telling me your time and money (of which you have none :eek:) would be better spent on a full chipout and replaster. Are you experiencing any leaking?

The construction guys will chime in soon I am sure.
Calling @bdavis466 ,@mas985 , @jimmythegreek

yea, you have a lot of cracks :( but I get not wanting to spend money..If you try it maybe find a way to put weight on the plaster and push the materials in the cracks.
But If it were mine I would just wait and re plaster when you can

I used this stuff to fix a low stop in mine and it seemed to stick and stay. Its not expensive if you want to try it..Might be the same stuff you already ordered.

The area including the cracks is about 3'x3'. That "hole" is about ~5". I was going to drain the pool down about 2'. Take my compressor/air chisel, and slowly break up all the delaminated area of the crack. Then mix and trowel in the area with Pool Patch Plaster kit, but then I got this message from my builder following my same email picture of the area..."Even limited to the shallow tanning ledge, we would be doing you a disservice were we to attempt a patch. Once the water is lowered below the tanning ledge, and the plaster is exposed to oxygen, the delamination will spread quickly. The patch itself would not be effective without properly prepping the area to receive it, but any attempt to prep for a good bond will ‘pop off’ the surrounding loose plaster.

I make all of the plaster mixes and formulas for XXXX and have experimented with dozens of different products, mixes, additives and methods. I know it is disappointing, but the best path forward is to wait and do the entire pool at once."

My concern is whether I am wasting my time trying to patch it or not?

Define wasting your time...I think there is a full plaster redo in your near future. Especially if you find out that all that cracked plaster is actually compromised underneath. try tapping it with a hammer and see if is hollow sounding (even under water). Are you patching it to get through the end of the year or trying to get a few seasons out of it? You might find some underwater patch to just reaffix those busted sections.. If you drain the pool and start working on the hole.. it may turn into a bigger job than just that one section. That is my fear for you.

Reactions: markayash
So it started as cracked lines, then they started to lift as water seeped in underneath and broke to form the "hole" in the picture. I'm prepared to chip all that away and redo the entire ledge, but hoping no more than a 5'x5' area, but I don't want to start this and then it become a full replaster because of my efforts to get through the season. I plan to do the complete replaster in the Spring.

I'll take a hammer to the area around it tonight and see what I can determine

So it started as cracked lines, then they started to lift as water seeped in underneath and broke to form the "hole" in the picture. I'm prepared to chip all that away and redo the entire ledge, but hoping no more than a 5'x5' area, but I don't want to start this and then it become a full replaster because of my efforts to get through the season. I plan to do the complete replaster in the Spring.

I'll take a hammer to the area around it tonight and see what I can determine
Do it now, with 2 bad storms heading your way you may get a free pool refill!!
Seriously stay safe and lets hope they slow down and weaken

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.