Repair or replace sand filter?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've noticed a bit of 'dirt' in my pool for quite a while but assumed it was from surrounding flowerbeds. We recently removed them and realized it's actually filter sand. It's mostly near the returns suggesting the laterals need to be replaced.
The filter is 10+ years old. Hayward S244T. I don't know exact age as it came with the house so could be up to 18 years.
I have never replaced the sand and only did a semi deep clean once. I didn't go too deep with the hose as I was afraid of damaging the laterals. I was already seeing a bit of 'dirt' at that time so I don't think I caused the issue. Other than a tiny bit of debris at the top the tank was pretty clean.
Cost for lateral assembly would be about $200 if I diy. Not sure how easy or time consuming this process is? New tank would be $600. Should I consider replacing the whole tank to avoid cost of future repairs such as control valve (never replaced) or age related issues?? Any benefits that a newer tank would offer?

You may have a bad spider gasket which can do what you describe and even possibly have more sand then it's supposed to which can do that too.
When I had a pool leak in the spring the detection company suggested I see if water was coming out the backwash hose which would indicate a misaligned or bad gasket. There was no water. I never visually inspected inside. Still possible that gasket is bad? I've never replaced any parts on this unit. I do notice that when I start the pump at opening I get a brief gush of water near the bracket at the top. No issue throughout the season however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.