Repair Maytronics Dolphin Drive Motor

Craig46

Mar 23, 2022
Florida
Moved from here.
I need a source for a pair of brushes for the impeller/pump motor (52ZY24-50) for my Prowler 920. One brush is worn enough that the wire hits the end of the slot in the holder. I think that Prowler is not running because motor isn't running consistantly due to worn brushes. Both bearings are still good although "seal" on the end cap is a little "stiff" causing drag on the motor so I have cleaned and greased it. I have searched many sites to no avail for that motor or parts or brushes by size. Maytronics and Pentair are no help. It is inconceivable that I would have to replace the entire "motor unit" at a cost of $500-$1000 when a new set of brushes would cost $10-$20!

Attachments

• IMG_2497.JPG
    IMG_2497.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
If you can unsolder the worn brush from the board which you'll have to do anyhow then measure the brush width and depth and you will need to figure out the starting length of a new brush but longer isn't an issue as you can shorten it to any length that works. I've bought this stuff on ebay many times since this isn't a proprietary part.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hi All,

These brushes are pretty standard across the Dolphins it seems and are the main failure mode - can someone advise on the dimensions? Has anyone come around the correct one on ebay or any other site?
Thanks
alexey

I just repaired my s200 successfully by replacing the brushes in the impeller motor. Both were worn similarly like Craig46 mentioned in his post. The original brushes measure exactly 5mm wide by 6mm high. Original length is unknown but I would guess around 11 or 12mm as that is about as much can fit with the brush springs not touching the motor housing wall.
I purchased a new set of brushes at my local electronics store. They measured 5mm by 8mm by 20mm, so I used a grinder attachment on my Dremel to size them down. Be careful - the brushes are made of graphite, similar to what’s in a pencil, so it’s brittle and soft. Go slow and apply light pressure when removing material. I scored a little groove in the back to hold the spring arm in place although I don’t think that was totally necessary but the originals had it, so I copied it. I removed the old ones and soldered the new ones in place. While I was at it, I cleaned the inside of the motor with contact cleaner to get rid of the carbon dust buildup. The bearings were still in great shape. Then put everything back together and the unit is happily cleaning again!

Total cost: CAD $5 + tax and about 3 hours (mostly diagnosing the problem).

I just repaired my s200 successfully by replacing the brushes in the impeller motor. Both were worn similarly like Craig46 mentioned in his post. The original brushes measure exactly 5mm wide by 6mm high. Original length is unknown but I would guess around 11 or 12mm as that is about as much can fit with the brush springs not touching the motor housing wall.
I purchased a new set of brushes at my local electronics store. They measured 5mm by 8mm by 20mm, so I used a grinder attachment on my Dremel to size them down. Be careful - the brushes are made of graphite, similar to what’s in a pencil, so it’s brittle and soft. Go slow and apply light pressure when removing material. I scored a little groove in the back to hold the spring arm in place although I don’t think that was totally necessary but the originals had it, so I copied it. I removed the old ones and soldered the new ones in place. While I was at it, I cleaned the inside of the motor with contact cleaner to get rid of the carbon dust buildup. The bearings were still in great shape. Then put everything back together and the unit is happily cleaning again!

I just repaired my Pentair Warrior SI like this. I salvaged my old bosch jigsaw for the brushes. They measured 5x7mm, and were roughly 15mm long. I used a #220 sanding block to sand them down to 5x6mm, which took less than a minute. I didn't unsolder the wire from the board. I just soldered the new and old wire together and cut off the excess. Overall cost = $0.

Reactions: SlipperyPete
Ooh, I love this! I've been wondering what I'd do if I found my issue was worn brushes since replacement brushes (specifically for this) don't seem to be available.

Even if I fork over $450 for a new motor unit, repairing this old one is desirable.

Reactions: borjis

I found 5mm x 6mm x 14 mm brushes on Amazon , would these be ok ?
What side is the wire connection , straight back or side ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.