Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Now that I have the plumbing and electrical done, got the coping installed and tile, onto the next issue. Since we are renovating, I did walk into this knowing that there could be all sorts of problems, I was hoping for minimal however it's been just one thing after the next. So the next issue is, Gunite shell, while chiping out the plaster the guys got a bit too happy with the jack hammer and went all the way through to dirt. Turns out, gunite in part of the pool is only 2-3" and lower down it sounds pretty hollow when you bang it with a hammer or something solid.

Plaster/Gunite company is out on Monday to talk over the next steps, wanted to get some feedback from the folks here before then so I can atleast walk into the conversation a little more knowledgable then I am now.

I'm assuming that atleast for the part that chipped all the way through, it will been to be cleaned out and gunite shot in, howeverfor the rest of the pool, can they simply add a few inches to strengthen it and should I maybe look at going Quarts or Pebble so that the plaster adds to the overall thickness and strength or will regular old plaster surfice? Original plance was Deep Harbor Blue plaster. Then it was maybe I should go plaster with Acquabrite but after some reading I'm thinking maybe jsut quartz.

Appreciate any advice from the folks here, especially if you are a PB.

Here is a pic as a reference.

pool.gunite.jpg

Quarts or Pebble is no stronger then regular plaster. None of them will structurally improve your gunite shell.

Some areas can be built back up with hydraulic cement.

To improve the strength of the gunite shell you would need to drill holes in the shell and epoxy rebar into it. Then put a new layer of gunite on. The rebar would structurally bind the two layers together.

They need to drill a hole in the center of the hollow section and inject hydraulic cement under pressure to fill the void. Same with the hole. What you do after that is a bit of an unknown. If the shell is only 2-3" thick, it needs to be reinforced. Probably by drilling/epoxying more rebar and reshooting the shell inside the existing one. Of course, that ruins your work up to this point with the coping and tile.

• Sad
Reactions: SpongeBob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.