Renovation

Hammond

Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2017
Dallas, TX
So, I bought a house in Sep that had a pool. Before we bought the house, I knew that the pool was trouble, but my wife really loved the house, so....

The pool is about 30 years old, and has a number of issues. The only real change I made last fall was to have the diving board removed. It was old, and I was afraid someone would get hurt. So, I didn't do much over the winter, but now that spring is here I have started working on it.

It's a diving pool that has some cracks and lots of other problems. I had a pool company out last week to look at it and to put together a bid to renovate it. I'm not going to do ti all at once, but will spread it out over a year or 2.

34252952225_901db19d3b_b.jpg

There is a big tree that hangs over the pool. I had the gardener take out a couple of the big branches that hung over the pool, but it is still too big and too close. It loses a ton of leaves in the pool.

34252950645_57884cbeb1_b.jpg

Last Friday I had a leak detector guy try to figure out why it is losing water (an inch or 2 a week). He tested the plumbing and also a crack in the pool that hasn't been repaired. The plumbing turned out good, but the crack in the bottom is losing water.

34212611786_d6731b92f5_z.jpg

The equipment is a mess. It was plumbed for a Polaris, but the pump is disconnected. I tried it, and the bearings are shot.

33442968263_190cbdef49_z.jpg

The valves all needed to be rebuilt. There was only 1 handle, and they all seemed to leak

33442970663_92fa1274ee_m.jpg

The heater is dead, and too old to fix.

33442968763_e56c1f1d46_z.jpg

This weekend I rebuilt all 5 valves. After some research I found that it was cheaper to buy new Jandy Neverlube Valves and use the pieces to rebuild my original Jandy Grey Valves. Ordered from Amazon and had them next day. This went surprisingly easy, and I now have new valves that work well with handles.

33442966653_4803c539f6_z.jpg

Trash from this project

34212611146_9b232a066d_z.jpg

Next I ordered the Drainking shown in the bottom right of that picture to clear my clogged skimmer lines. I had tried to snake it but it didn't work. I ordered 2 of the drainking, 1 in 1-2" and the other 1.5 - 3". I tried using the small one from the skimmer side, but wasn't able to clear it. So I took off the valve cover leading to the skimmer and put the drainking into the pipe. When you turn the hose on, the bladder fills up to block the pipe, and then it forces high pressure water down the pipe. Sure enough this pushed a block of leaves back out of the skimmer. This was well worth the cost (about $15)

Next up is to replace the timers/electrical box. It's hard to see in this picture, but it is completely rusted.

33442966733_e84218a131_z.jpg

I also ordered a new pump for the Polaris, and a new Polaris. Haven't opened it yet, because I'm thinking of going with a robot instead

Oh, go robot. I couldn't type that fast enough. Send it back tonight if you can!![emoji846]

Yeah, that tree's a monster.

With the crack leaking I know what you need to do first-new plaster or Aqua Bright. After that would be saying bye-bye to that tree :( I love trees but not at the expense of all of those leaves in the pool. We had one take down as soon as we could afford it after buying the house. Cut my pool work load by 80%! Just think, your skimmer got block by all of those leaves!

Is that a waterfall! Does it work? That whole area will look great with a little touch up and sweat I bet.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.