Removing old pool paint

Oct 27, 2014
Iowa
Good Evening Everybody

I posted here a while back about having issues with pool paint blistering. In short my wife and I purchased a home 3 years ago that has a pool. I'm not sure if I should call it gunite , concrete or plaster. I believe gunite/concrete are the same and that they are all coated with plaster. Anyway I have attempted to paint the pool for 3 years in a row with the same terrible results, the paint blisters every time. So the manufacturer recommended that I remove all the old coating and apply epoxy. So I've been working on it for a couple of weeks with my 4000 psi 4 gpm pressure washer and a 15 degree tip and it has been slooooow going. I've been thinking about purchasing a sandblasting attachment for the pressure washer but I'm afraid of damaging the surface. I would just like some feedback,,,do you think this would damage the surface of the pool?

NorthStar Heavy 2100440 | Pressure Washer Sandblast Kits Nozzles| Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes it will. You will end up with the plaster being pot marked and divots made in it.

What needs to happen is to have the pool re-plastered. They will chip out the old plaster and put in new. Think about all of the time, effort, and money have you already put into painting this pool. I know it is a lot of money but think long term. :hug:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.