Removing metal

For future readers of this thread:
After bringing up FC to five and watching the pool turn into green kool-aid, I put polyfil in the skimmer and just maintained the FC as if nothing was amiss. After a couple days the water was clear but the stains on the fiberglass were horrendous. I let FC drop down some and did the Ascorbic Acid treatment. I went to walmart and bought 5 bottles of vitamin C. With the pump on recirculate, one bottle at a time I crushed up the pills with a mortar and pestle and poured in along the sides. The stains lifted away like magic. The next day I added sequestrant and the few remaining stains disappeared. FC was at 0 at this point for almost a day so I slowly raised it back up using liquid chlorine. Once it held the minimum FC needed, I turned on my SWG.
The pool looks wonderful now, and I have a reminder to put in more sequestrant every month.
Big thanks to those that responded! @YippeeSkippy @Texas Splash @duraleigh I appreciate y'all!!

If you can exchange water a bit at a time when it rains heavily, this can over time help you get rid of the metals in the pool. Just lower the pool an inch or so when you're getting a lot of rain and let the rain fill you back up.

Maddie :flower:

In a matter of 3 hours today the pool turned back to a light green and the stains are back on the sides. Not too bad but they're back. Guess I need more sequestrant. Polfil back in the skimmer.
What a bummer. You're very close to cracking the code on your chemistry. The iron level must be just enough to mess with you.

This morning the water is very green and the sides are a nice tan color. :( I'm draining water today.
I suspect the iron came from the salt that the pool company put in. There might be trace amounts in my fill water, but it had to have come from the salt.
I was looking through some old threads and found this.. yup it was likely the salt. If you search around the forum, you'll find others that have found Iron contamination from tainted Clorox brand pool salt. I am dealing with iron staining as well and made the connection when I noticed the stain on the bottom of my pool is in the exact location I usually dump my yearly salt additions in the spring... If you have a pool guy that does your chem additions tell them not to use Clorox brand salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.