Removing Fiberglass Pool Installing Gunite Pool

It rained the day they did mine they just covered everything with a large sheet of plastic. You can see it in my sigline pics.

It rained the day they did mine they just covered everything with a large sheet of plastic. You can see it in my sigline pics.
I was reading your thread last night, thanks for writing it, I felt much better about today's weather possibilities after reading it :cheers:

Husband keeps giving me weather updates which doesn't help. :hammer: Our project manager said this is his last open hole before the big rain is expected. My friend, who shall remain nameless, assures me its not on me if that big slushy out there does somehow go "pourly".

If they even feel a drop on them they will finish the rest with a "flash" coat. It will not be the full thickness. Just enough to hold the dirt in place and safe from the rain. No big deal and easy to finish the job when the rain is done. Letting you know this just in case it comes up.

Now go find some duct tape to put over hubbies mouth! DUDE you are NOT helping!!! MEN :roll: LOL

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Chickinvic
If they even feel a drop on them they will finish the rest with a "flash" coat. It will not be the full thickness. Just enough to hold the dirt in place and safe from the rain. No big deal and easy to finish the job when the rain is done. Letting you know this just in case it comes up.

Now go find some duct tape to put over hubbies mouth! DUDE you are NOT helping!!! MEN :roll: LOL

I have never heard about a flash coat - that is very, very, very, very comforting! Thanks Miss Kim! :salut:

Just got a peek at my corner stairs with the bench - the bench is plenty large --whew! And my project manager was just telling me that if the rain gets too intense (its pretty close right now) they will flash coat it (and I knew what he meant;) I wish I had taken my phone out there with me. Its pretty lively out there with the storm wind blowing and the gunite crews working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rain started getting heavy at 5:30 am today - local records say we got between 10-12 inches this morning. We were instructed to remove the plastic and start watering - which we did once the rain stopped. Last night when we lifted the plastic just the tiniest bit we were surprised, the gunite was putting out some serious heat. I am extremely pleased with the results. Sorry picture is a bit crooked, tried to get the entire pool in from as close as possible.

IMG_6806.jpg

Watering? LOL why? Yep gunite/concrete is a chemical reaction and can get quite warm as it hardens. That'll last a good week or so. Looking good!

CANNON BALL time!! LOL

So talk to us about the benches and step. Did they end up adding to them to make them the size you wanted? They look awesome in your pic.

Guess what time it is???? Time for you own set of links!!! The first set is some you will want to go over with your PB. It talks about how to get the best plaster job:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

CANNON BALL time!! LOL

So talk to us about the benches and step. Did they end up adding to them to make them the size you wanted? They look awesome in your pic.

Guess what time it is???? Time for you own set of links!!! The first set is some you will want to go over with your PB. It talks about how to get the best plaster job:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Ahhhhh, my first links! It’s like a graduation ?

Last Thursday the equipment was delivered and a LOT of salt. Our project manager came by on Friday and brought a pump to pump down the water in our shell. We did get the weekend off from work crews while we kept our gunite watered. The benches and steps are exactly as I wanted them - thanks for asking @kimkats . Our project manager had made sure the step bench was plenty large as he said he remembered that we wanted a large bench with the steps.

Today things got off to a fast start as the tile guys arrived! Near the end of the day the gunite clean up crew showed up to cart off the gunite frame and the extra bits of gunite that were everywhere. I didn't even see them unload the little bobcat - next thing I know, I look out and there's a bobcat cleaning up the gunite.

I loved @SuzfromTexas ' pool with the waterline tile that resembled her travertine. Our old pool dropped small cobalt waterline tiles for years. I would fish them out and if I wasn't fast enough, my grandson would throw them back in. When I saw Suz's pool I wanted that same look for our pool, it sort of looks like a travertine waterline tile. Made me feel better - I didn't want anything colorful for a waterline tile, picked up too many small beautiful tiles for too long.

I am still finding cobalt tiles in the yard from the fiberglass pool demolition. I am working to get them all up before the grandson tosses one into the new pool.
IMG_6823.jpg

Reactions: PoolGate
I LOVE the colors in the coping and tiles! So many different patterns and colors! It will be fun to look at them with your Grandson to see if he can see any critters or pictures in them. Make sure to look from all sides.

It is going to be a while but I want to make sure to say this......."diamond day" aka the day you add the salt. Have everyone suited up and in the water. Then dump the salt in the water. It is SO pretty to swim under the water as the "diamonds" float down. The swimming and playing will help mix them up in the water while having fun! Little man should love "helping" with this!

Tiles-you should keep some and put them on a bench or a clay pot to remember the old pool by.

Reactions: SuzfromTexas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.