Remove redundancy?

GlendalePool

Sep 24, 2019
Glendale,AZ
Just moved to our new house in AZ and we are new to pools, but learning. In the attached picture, the water goes first through a leaf canister (black lid) and then travels to the single speed pool pump (tan lid).

I want install a variable speed pump and the recommended install describes a 10" horizontal run for the 2 inch pipe before it gets to the pump.

I want to know if I can get rid of the black lid leaf canister and just plumb straight into the new pump. I don't have enough room to add a horizontal pipe to the current setup. The leaf canister seems redundant and unnecessary to me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 20
In principle, yes. The basket in your pump serves the same purpose. Having said that many, many people take no notice of the pump manufacturer's general recommendation to have 5x the pipe diameter leading to the pump inlet.

Do you have an in floor cleaning system? If so, I would definitely leave the leaf canister installed. Heck, even without the in floor, I'd leave it. As Keith stated, many people don't adhere to the 5x pipe diameter manufacturers recommendation.

Is there enough room to rotate the pump 90° clockwise - so it would be in the lower right of your pic? Then re-plumb to pump to filter connection. You can put the pump a a couple of pavers to support it. This may also allow easier access to the pump lid and controls. Maybe post a wider pic of your equipment and others may have additional ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.