Remove gummy lube residue

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
Hey Everybody! Worst opening season in 10 years for me, the rain has just been ridiculous.

Anyway, I have accepted a new client and their Hayward offline chlorinator has a really gummy resident of lube built up that makes the lid impossible to open and close.

Anyone have any tricks or can recommend a product to remove all the old residue so I can start fresh? Otherwise it seams fine so I hate to tell them to buy a new one.

Thanks!

Reactions: blazer58
Yup - brake parts cleaner spray. Just wash whatever pool equipment/o-rings you use it on after you're done.

Really? I didn't know. I have seen most brake cleaners say they are chlorine free - maybe for good reason.

I do know that brake FLUID and chlorine is dangerous. Fireball will occur.

Brake cleaner & chlorine is a homemade bomb.
That’s pretty reckless.

Brake cleaner or brake fluid?

An oxidizing agent that is commonly available in Australia is calcium hypochlorite. It is sold commercially as a granular powder for use as an algicide and bactericide in the treatment of water in domestic swimming pools and, hence, is commonly referred to as swimming pool chlorine. Calcium hypochlorite will react violently with motor vehicle brake fluid of the polyethylene glycol type, producing a fierce fireball. Since brake fluid is also easily available, it is not surprising that this mixture has Occurred in a number of criminal and accidental explosions. Calcium hypochlorite will also react violently and exothermically with other fuels, such as moistened sugar and cellulose products. However, a fireball is not produced with these fuels. Although the explosive nature of the mixture is known [1,2], a search of the literature proved fruitless in providing an explanation of the fireball. This paper reports the results of an investigation to explain the cause of it.

11 minutes in on

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.