Removable- temporary handrail

johnpkaiser

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2019
San Antonio, TX
In an effort to help those who need additional help getting in and out of our pool(mainly my parents), I built this PVC handrail that will be put in place with an existing anchor. We’ll see how it holds up once the swim season starts. I only plan to place it there as needed.

$15 in material is no loss of it doesn’t work out.
I wish I had thought about a handrail when designed.

Attachments

• D874DFDB-599C-4DCD-9153-BF0410D13393.jpeg
    D874DFDB-599C-4DCD-9153-BF0410D13393.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 107
  • C5E3DEEE-EEEF-4CD3-96CC-64A856BF8556.jpeg
    C5E3DEEE-EEEF-4CD3-96CC-64A856BF8556.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 97
  • E981C35B-BDE8-48B7-896A-88B676CBB836.jpeg
    E981C35B-BDE8-48B7-896A-88B676CBB836.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 89
  • FEF9E450-9C19-480B-AEC9-4A37B7FB3600.jpeg
    FEF9E450-9C19-480B-AEC9-4A37B7FB3600.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 84
In my opinion, it's a dangerous situation.

I don't think that it's going to hold. If it fails when someone is relying on it, they can be injured.

I would do it correctly if you're going to do it at all.

Reactions: proavia
I was going to agree with JamesW - PVC is kind of floppy and breakable, but then I remembered how virtually any above ground pool ladder I have seen was WAY more floppy than that looks to be plus they have you 4 feet or more above the ground, so...

I did look up the tensile strength of Sched. 40 1.5" PVC and it is rated at 954 lbs. It is also inserted into a 6" deep anchor. This is not intended to be hung on rather it is something to hold on to for balance as they get in/out. The alternative, with that I have now, is nothing where they might fall anyway. I considered having a stainless steel pipe custom made but found out it would have to be bonded since it would be metal. The current anchor is bonded. It is actually quite strong and hardly bends at all and I am 6' 2" 270lbs.

I'll stay out of the strength debate (except to say you could always "upgrade" to schedule 80 if the 40 is a little too "flexy").

A little light sanding, or a mild solvent, will remove those pesky markings. Try it on a scrap first.

PS. Still staring at your pics. If users are honkin' on the thing at some point, rather than just using it to center their balance, you could replace the lowest elbow with a T, and run a length of PVC down into the water, with a cap on it that sits on the step. That would significantly increase the thing's strength and stability.

Reactions: johnpkaiser and Pv2
Handrails are increasingly becoming sources of liability. Especially this type that does not get secured into the anchor with an anchor wedge. Not only can that handrail be turned or twisted, which cannot offer much needed stability for entering the pool, but it can also be lifted up and out of the cup, both can make it very scary, especially for the elderly that are relying on the handrail for stability.

Having said that.

If this never gets past private residence use , meaning no commercial use, it can be useful if:
The immediate family has been forewarned of the limits of this handrail.
Assuming immediate family wont sue (forgive the implication).
And It is removed before anyone but immediate family is to be using the pool area. This can still be a problem if someone not necessarily entering the pool grabs the rail and it doesn't offer the implied stability, and winds up entering the pool (god forbid head first).

My intent is not to scare you or belittle your ingenuity, or work, but to show you a view you may not be aware of, and to protect you, the home owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
Handrails are increasingly becoming sources of liability. Especially this type that does not get secured into the anchor with an anchor wedge. Not only can that handrail be turned or twisted, which cannot offer much needed stability for entering the pool, but it can also be lifted up and out of the cup, both can make it very scary, especially for the elderly that are relying on the handrail for stability.

Having said that.

If this never gets past private residence use , meaning no commercial use, can be useful if:
The immediate family has been forewarned of the limits of this handrail.
Assuming immediate family wont sue (forgive the implication).
And It is removed before anyone but immediate family is to be using the pool area. This can still be a problem if someone not necessarily entering the pool grabs the rail and it doesn't offer the implied stability, and winds up entering the pool (god forbid head first).

My intent is not to scare you or belittle your ingenuity, or work, but to show you a view you may not be aware of, and to protect you, the home owner.

Thanks for the additional view on this.
All something to think about. Last thing I want is to cause my parents any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming immediate family wont sue

If you get hurt at my house and use your insurance, your insurance will sue me/my insurance behind the scenes, on your behalf. You or your guests have no say in it. It makes the paper every once in a while, the daughter isnt suing her mother. they are just named on the suit as the insurance companies sue themselves.

I guess the only way around it is to lie about how it happened. 'I fell down my own stairs '

Saftron rails don't need to be bonded. You can core drill holes in the deck and use anchoring cement to install new cup anchors.

Saftron rails don't need to be bonded. You can core drill holes in the deck and use anchoring cement to install new cup anchors.

Thanks for the site information. I'll be sure the check it out.

Despite my suggestion on how to beef-up your rail, it's tough to argue these latest posts. Generally, there's a reason stuff is done the way it's done, which can accommodate uses and conditions we DIY'ers don't always realize or recognize. And sometimes trying to save a few bucks is penny-wise-dollar-foolish, especially when it comes to matters of safety and liability...

Relying on your pool users to remember the potential shortcomings of a hand rail, even the same day you explain them, seems a little iffy. That'd be a real Steve-Jobsian move: "You're holding it wrong!" o_O

Despite my suggestion on how to beef-up your rail, it's tough to argue these latest posts. Generally, there's a reason stuff is done the way it's done, which can accommodate uses and conditions we DIY'ers don't always realize or recognize. And sometimes trying to save a few bucks is penny-wise-dollar-foolish, especially when it comes to matters of safety and liability...

Relying on your pool users to remember the potential shortcomings of a hand rail, even the same day you explain them, seems a little iffy. That'd be a real Steve-Jobsian move: "You're holding it wrong!" o_O

I agree. Sometimes the inventor part of me gets ahead of the reality of the situation.

Nobody mentioned kids playing yet, which is the reason i did not put in a railing. My kids could not process that the railing at the swimming lessings place was not the same as the jungle gym/ chin up bars/ physical fitness equiptment at the school. In their defense, it was a softer landing than at school, but no matter how many times they were told it wasnt a toy, that information escaped their minds moments later.

In a perfect world, PVC would be just that little bit of balance everbody needs help with getting out. At my house it wouldnt last a day.

I do like the idea of a removable rail, as I wouldn't want to look at one more than I had to. I'll wish I had one in not too many years... Can those be as solid as others here have described the need?

I do like the idea of a removable rail, as I wouldn't want to look at one more than I had to. I'll wish I had one in not too many years... Can those be as solid as others here have described the need?
Same here. I envision the need for this use being once or twice a season.
Offering a hand to get in/out is likely a better solution.

On the other hand, anyone can fall getting in/out of any pool and hurt themselves.. regardless of the type of ladder or rail you might have.

Offering a hand to get in/out is likely a better solution.
Unless your old man is too proud? He'd use the rail without thinking about it, but maybe be insulted or embarrassed if you ran over to help him in and out every time? Maybe I'm just projecting! ? [That's supposed to be a mule!]

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.