Remote Heater and Pump Activation using Shelly

Apr 4, 2016
Chardon, OH
First, a few pics of the re-plumbed equipment pad.
I bought and installed the heater last month, which required rerouting the pipes, and I added a bypass, because, why not.
If you ever find yourself needing to reuse a valve or 2, get a Reed Tool Extreme Ream. Gold.

Then, I didn't like having to squeeze behind the filter to get to the pump controls, so I bought one of the relocation kits, which didn't fit my pump (011018). Turns out, after tucking into it, remove the face retainer and carefully peel out the drive interface, and it is just a plain old 5 dollar serial cable back there. So I cut one off and bought a break out board and mounted it in a box where I could stand up and reach it.

Then on to the fun Stuff.
I bought the Intellicom interface for my Intelliflo pump and a couple Shelly relays (a Shelly 1 and a Shelly 2.5) and threw all that into the box too. Now, I can say 'Alexa, turn on the pool heater' and the Raypak fires up and sets the pump to an appropriate speed. When its time to shut it down, a second contact closes for 20 minutes on the shelly and runs the pump to cool down the heater. Also works from the phone, remotely. I included the wiring diagram, which is really quite simple. The trigger based automation is occurring in the Shelly units using their own 'actions'. This requires WiFi access to the equipment pad to function (hence the plastic enclosure, instead of mounting it all in the heater housing). My pad is 55 ft from my access point, and it seems to be working fine.

At the end of the day, I am about $250 into the automation. $160 of which is the ridiculously priced Intellicom interface. I could easily add one more Shelly ($15) to control the SWG and use their software for scheduling, but for now, this provides the one feature I wanted - turn on the heater from the office in the afternoon on those days I need a warm dip when I get home!

Cheers!
Dave

Nice job, especially relocating the IntelliFlo control.

My only critique is plumbing - it seems from your layout that you’ve bypasses both your heater and SWG. The SWG should be after the bypass as there isn’t really much need to bypass it. For winterization, you can pull the SWG out and either buy a prefabricated winterization tube from Pentair (again, ridiculously priced) or make your own (the threaded unions are “proprietary” but not uncommon and can be found online).

Thanks!
You are right about the bypass, I thought it was a toss up. I have only ever used the bypass early in the spring when it was too cold for the SWG, which I do take out in the winter (which is why dressing that cable is a waste of time). Hopefully I never have a problem with that heater.....

Thanks for this post. I am in pursuit of something similar. I don't have an Intellicom interface and I found this thing, which in theory should do the same thing. I am planning to connect a shelly to it, just like you did.

I understand less about the heater. As far as I got it runs independently from the pump (it will shut down if there is no flow, but it won't trigger the pump when started). Do I need to wire it from a fireman's switch to control on/off?

Thanks for this post. I am in pursuit of something similar. I don't have an Intellicom interface and I found this thing, which in theory should do the same thing. I am planning to connect a shelly to it, just like you did.

I understand less about the heater. As far as I got it runs independently from the pump (it will shut down if there is no flow, but it won't trigger the pump when started). Do I need to wire it from a fireman's switch to control on/off?
If you haven't checked out nodejs-poolController I'd recommend it. It can be a bit difficult to setup but for me, it replaced the flo-buster as I already had an extra raspberry pi laying around.

Reactions: izzi
Ok, I got the flo buster, the communication cable, the 24vdc power supply, and the shellys.
I still need a box, a receptacle, and some wire. I hope someone will be able to answer my noob electric questions because my biggest electrical achievement is probably wiring an additional outlet from a light switch.

First off, I want to remove the mechanical timer. There is a switch below it so there is not much sense in having the timer, as far as I understand. Plus I need space for a larger box.
On the left are the pump wires, and on the right - heater's.
Now, can I wire power from the switch to an new outlet (will be in the box) and use the outlet's terminals to wire the pump and heater? The outlet itself is for the power supply.

Attachments

• F5993C18-9340-4131-9D11-5BBC67E18C8D.jpeg
    F5993C18-9340-4131-9D11-5BBC67E18C8D.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.