Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Finally getting around to remodeling an old pool, plaster is off, coping removed, skimmer is out, hopefully things will start to be put on rather then taken off. After all the demo work, I'm left with a crack in the concrete. So the question to everyone here is, what does one do with cracks, that are seemly old and not expanding. I was loosing water through the crack since I bought the place 2 years ago, who knows how long is was really leaking for. Anyway I digress, do I...
1. Grid out the crack and simply fill with plaster?
2. Staple it?
3. Something else?

Ground water is coming back in through the bottom of the crack, though I figured once it's replastered, just as the pool water is sealed off so would the ground water, unless it can force it's way behind the plaster and cause problems.

Pool Skimmer view, close up of the bottom where water comes back in and then top of skimmer, can see where the water leaked out of it on the left of the skimmer.
20210525_143720564_iOS.jpeg20210525_143735074_iOS.jpeg20210525_143929488_iOS.jpeg

Pool light area crack... Looks to be more cosmetic.
20210525_143830479_iOS.jpeg

You should try and get an understanding of the root cause of the cracks.

Is the root cause from external factors outside the pool shell? In some areas in Texas you have unstable soil that causes pools to move and crack.

Or do you have issues with the construction of the pool shell? Inadequate gunite mix? Or inadequate rebar in the shell?

Knowing the root cause of the cracks can help you do a fix that will prevent other cracks in the future. This may take getting a Professional Engineers opinion. And finding one with experience with pools can be difficult.

You may need concrete staples with epoxy injection for a mechanical solid fix. This is a common concrete repair technique.

Watch

Torque Lock

Concrete Crack Repair Staples for Swimming Pools and Pool Decks | AquaStitch

Pool Structural Repair Staples. Carbon Fiber Kevlar Repair by Fortress Stabilization

Reactions: SpongeBob
You should try and get an understanding of the root cause of the cracks.

Is the root cause from external factors outside the pool shell? In some areas in Texas you have unstable soil that causes pools to move and crack.

Or do you have issues with the construction of the pool shell? Inadequate gunite mix? Or inadequate rebar in the shell?

Knowing the root cause of the cracks can help you do a fix that will prevent other cracks in the future. This may take getting a Professional Engineers opinion. And finding one with experience with pools can be difficult.

You may need concrete staples with epoxy injection for a mechanical solid fix. This is a common concrete repair technique.

Watch

Torque Lock

Concrete Crack Repair Staples for Swimming Pools and Pool Decks | AquaStitch

Pool Structural Repair Staples. Carbon Fiber Kevlar Repair by Fortress Stabilization
Finding the root cause has been tough. I suspect it is due to settling As it hasn’t grown over the last 2 years at least. Fortunately, bed rock layer is pretty close to the surface, around 7-8 feet which is about the max depth of the pool.

Reactions: HappySwimming
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.