Remember.....the husband finally...

dakemi

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2015
Honolulu/HI
Hi all! Dakemi here, a blast from the past. You all helped me save our yucky algae/amonia pool in Reno, NV (remember??)!!!!! Thank you TFP and all the members that helped me!!
Then we sold the house and moved to Hawaii. We just finished building our new pool in Hawaii and this time I need only a little guidance.
We are close to the ocean so theres a lot of underground ocean water. We built our pool 18" above ground so we could have at least 6 1/2' depth at the deepest part. It look like a giant fountain, only a LOT deeper.
Hawaii is SUNNY and hot. The pool exterior is gunite and the interior is completely tiled. 13000 gallons with three small flat fountain water features. The pump system is a Pentair Intellipro VSF.

FC is always low 0-<.5 FC, probably cuz my husband is always in the pool and has friends over a lot.
pH is rather high usually 8.2
CYA is 50
I add Muriatic acid as prescribed in pool math to lower pH and Clorox to raise FC.
The pool temp is WARM, feels like its heated (but its not).

Here's my question:
Is it just the sunlight and usage that is causing me to have to add Clorox daily?
Is pH of 8.2 even after adding Muriatic acid acceptable?

Thanks!

Raise your FC to 10 ppm and do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

You should have your FC in target range based on CYA as per FC/CYA Levels

Do not use Clorox. It has an additive in it (Cloromax) that makes not suitable for pools. Use plain bleach/liquid chlorine.

Keep your pH in the 7's.

Please update your signature with your current pool specs.

Here's my question:
Is it just the sunlight and usage that is causing me to have to add Clorox daily?
Is pH of 8.2 even after adding Muriatic acid acceptable?
1. Chlorine is consumed by two things......Sunlight and organics in your pool (swimmer load included) You are not adding enough

2. A pH of 8.2 is NOT acceptable.....you need to add more acid to get your pH down around 7.6

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need a better understanding of theses parameters you are testing for.

"three small flat fountain water features" is why your pH is always so high. It could be aggravated by high TA fill water or if you've been listening to the pool store and adding baking soda all the time to keep the TA up in triple digits.

Chlorine losses are sunlight or organics. An overnight loss test will tell you if it's organics. A CYA test will tell you if it should be raised. As an aside, adding chlorine daily is normal. How much is too much is the question.

Did you bring your test kit with you when you moved? How about showing us the full test results?

Yes, I brought my test kit and refilled with all new chems. Test results:
Cl/Br=.5/1
pH=8.2
FC=.5
CC=.5
TC=1.0
CH=175
TA=70
CYA=55
I will update my pool specs as well.
I forgot about the overnight chlorine loss test, will do tonight.
Oh, didn't know that Clorox was a no-no. I thought it was the same as liquid chlorine:oops:Do I check w/a hardware store for liquid chlorine?

Yes, I brought my test kit and refilled with all new chems. Test results:
Cl/Br=.5/1
pH=8.2
FC=.5
CC=.5
TC=1.0
CH=175
TA=70
CYA=55
I will update my pool specs as well.
I forgot about the overnight chlorine loss test, will do tonight.
Oh, didn't know that Clorox was a no-no. I thought it was the same as liquid chlorine:oops:Do I check w/a hardware store for liquid chlorine?
Clorox is a specific brand that has problems. Any other brand of liquid sodium hypochlorite is fine. Home Depot, Lowe’s, hardware store, grocery store...

I assume you are in Hawaii - right? Change your location from Reno/NV when you can.

Home Depot/Lowes carries 10% liquid chlorine. Just checked the HD website (I am on Maui right now). That product is good but check the Julian dates on the box - should read 19XXX. The XXX is number of days into the year. Try to keep it within 60 days of current date.

I assume you are in Hawaii - right? Change your location from Reno/NV when you can.

Home Depot/Lowes carries 10% liquid chlorine. Just checked the HD website (I am on Maui right now). That product is good but check the Julian dates on the box - should read 19XXX. The XXX is number of days into the year. Try to keep it within 60 days of current date.
Yes, LOVE Hawaii, its my home state. We're back after 30 years in Reno. I see you're from NV too. Loved Reno!
Vacationing in Maui?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all! I think I got my specs and location updated.

Will go to HD to get liquid chlorine after work and do overnight chlorine test tonight.
I will bring the FC to 10 ppm at least 30 minutes before sunset to do the overnight test, bueno? and the FAS-DPD FC test is the Chlorine Drop test thats in my kit?

I looked at the FC/CYA chart and according to that, my FC should be minimum of 5 with a target of 7-9?

Unfortunately we built the pool first and a lot of cut grass, dirt and sawdust got into the pool. Grass from the lawn that used to be around the pool. dirt from excavating around the pool in order to pour concrete around the pool to get rid of the grass, and sawdust from the outdoor bathroom that they installed next to the pool. (Wrong order of building I guess)
I'm thinking that could introduce a bunch of organics into the water?

Sure, but your filter / brushing / vacuuming should be taking care of any large debris and the chlorine should handle anything they don’t. :)

Good morning.
OCLT done and it looks like I didn't lose any chlorine overnight. HOWEVER, having said that, it looked like I gained chlorine by 1.5 ppm. I think I might have tested too soon after adding chlorine last night and didn't get a correct reading of the ppm (waited 30 minutes)? But can I assume though that there are no organisms in the pool?
FC=11.5 (I think I added too much chlorine to begin with)
pH=8.2 (should I add 16 oz of muriatic acid as prescribed in pool math to try to lower?)
CYA=50

You cannot gain FC over night unless you added it. Up to you but I would suggest doing it again.

You should lower your pH but first the FC must be 10 ppm or lower for the pH test to be valid. So wait until this evening to test the pH and add acid.

Reactions: dakemi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.