Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The conventional wisdom is "the water level should be about half way up the skimmer." However, for various reasons, this doesn't seem to exactly work for everyone. So I wanted to break it down to an independent measurement that everyone can apply. Since the weir door is the actual critical element that does all the work, I want to ask the question a different way: What level should the water be relative to the weir door when you're holding it down flat with your fingers?

1/2 to 2/3rds the skimmer opening is best. It is also going to depend on what speed your pump is running. The higher the speed the higher the water should be in the skimmer, up to 2/3rds full. The skimmer weir should not lay flat when the pump is running. That would cause the pump to suck in air. The weir door should float at about a 70 degree angle in the skimmer opening to regulate water flow and skimming action.

1/2 to 2/3rds the skimmer opening is best. It is also going to depend on what speed your pump is running. The higher the speed the higher the water should be in the skimmer, up to 2/3rds full. The skimmer weir should not lay flat when the pump is running. That would cause the pump to suck in air. The weir door should float at about a 70 degree angle in the skimmer opening to regulate water flow and skimming action.

Thanks for the 70 degree part. I know it shouldnt lay flat, but that is a known and repeatable reference point. I specifically am trying to avoid any measurements relative to the skimmer opening for the reasons I stated above.

Don,

Not sure I have a direct answer to your question but...

For me, skimming works best when the water level is close to the bottom of the skimmer mouth.. It works worst when the water is at the top of the skimmer mouth.

The problem is that if you run near the bottom of your skimmer mouth, you run the risk of the water dropping too low and the skimmer running dry.

That is why the middle of the skimmer is recommended.. A balance between good and evil.. :mrgreen:

As long as you watch the water level, or have an auto fill, then in my mind lower is better for skimming.

Seems to me that since all skimmers are not created equal, that this is one of those situations where the pool owner just has to experiment with it, and adjust the level to suit their specific pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Ignoramus
A skimmer that is too full won't skim well and a skimmer that is too empty will suck in air. If you have enough water for your weir to float at an approximate 70 degree angle and do not get good skimming action, then checking the pump pot basket and/or filter to see if it needs cleaning would be the next place to look.

Are you having an issue with skimming or just looking for general guidelines?

Edit: I do agree with Jim, that what is best for your pool will be something you need to tease out with trial and error. Mine always worked better at 2/3rds full.

Just looking for general guidelines basically. In my case, the "middle" recommendation I was given by the pool builder nearly 10 years ago doesn't seem to work as well. My daughter and I noticed yesterday while it was "low" it seemed to be doing a much better job. That led me to look around here and my question. I get that it will be up to the individual but I was hoping to boil it down to something that everyone can use since not all skimmers, pools, and pumps are created equal. The 70 degree thing is good but not even all weir doors are the same height so going from flat to 70 degrees will mean different things for different pools.

So, to sum up, I'm hoping to get a consensus "rule" if you will (at least in my mind) of something like this: The water level in your skimmer should be such that the weir door is at about a 70 degree angle when your pump is at its normal speed.

The idea is that, in principle, every pool owner should be able to use that regardless of other factors. At least that's my thinking... :)

For what it's worth, in my situation I've found I need the water level to be about 2/3 up, otherwise the skimmer gets a nice vortex going and sucks a little air. I think this is because I have a 1.5HP single speed pump with a single skimmer and get some pretty strong suction going. If I had a VS pump I'm thinking I could run at lower speed and be fine with a little less water in the pool. I'm still new at this, so take it for what it's worth, but seems like there are many variables to consider when getting the "right" amount of water against the weir door.

Reactions: Ignoramus and zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.