Refurb 2005 pool outside of Dallas, plaster, tile, New LEDs, new sheers.

Silver_2000

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 29, 2015
Carrollton tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I bought the house last year and it had plaster issues when I bought it. Tried to get a high end plaster done last year and had trouble getting commit from the plasterer.
This year Ive changed gears and after analysis paralysis, am going with Aquabright, new tile, new LEDs, new sheers with LEDs in them. Getting rid of 2 fiberstar light towers.
We lost some tiles in the winter so we are getting those redone as well.
Ive installed a security camera to document the progress.

Here is a before image and one after the pool was drained.
The goal is to create a timelapse from a series of images

01_20170311110012.jpgch03_20170321_154352_E (2).jpg

The PB showed up today to drain the pool. They started with a submersible pump but the city doesnt like that so we used the backwash feature of the filter. I learned that my pump can exchange the entire volume of water in the pool in 4 hours.

Sweet! I'm interested in AquaBright myself. Looking forward to seeing progress!

My father was a professional commercial photographer, so when my family had a new pool put in as a kid, he rigged a mount from 2x4s and put a timelapse camera on it (uses moviefilm). The resulting movie turned out really great, though I had to repeatedly reassure the various pool guys that they weren't being constantly filmed/monitored (the camera was nearly a foot long - it was hard to miss). I told them to look busy about every 5 minutes or so. ;)

Update
Some demo done
You can see the tops of the Sheers are off and the shelf by the water fall has a new LED pointing up.
2 of the 3 Fiberstar towers and ALL the lights connected to them have been removed.
Leaving some Fibers on the water fall - need to clean them up some.
The PB has been MIA for a few days. "Emergency Job " and Weather...
Hope to have more done this week and Im told the tile guy is expected Saturday.
Since we are getting glass waterline tile, they wanted their best guy on the glass install ...

You cant see it in this picture but the spa wall next to the pool has a hairline crack about 3 feet long thats weeping water ...
Dont know yet what that means for the budget ...

ch03_20170325_141001_E.jpg

"fiberstar towers" What are (or were) these?

The sun shelf........is that all tile?

Will you have marker tile put in on the benches and sun shelf?

What color of AB are you getting?

Are you keeping the fishy?

Kim:kim:

BTW most of the threads here talk about chipping out the old plaster and replastering.
My PB has not mentioned chipping out, but I guess that doesnt mean he wont.
They are warrantying the finish for 10 years so its on them...

- - - Updated - - -

"fiberstar towers" What are (or were) these? Fiber optic lights. The towers contain the halogen bulb and color wheel Pool and Spa Archives Fiber Creations

The sun shelf........is that all tile? Sun shelf is all tile - its going away.

Will you have marker tile put in on the benches and sun shelf? We are going with glass tile for the markers and the water line and since there is SO MUCH other tile it will be blue

What color of AB are you getting? Blue Lagoon

Are you keeping the fishy? There are a ton of mosaics and we hope to keep them all.

See replies above
The pool was supposedly built by a pool builder and has all the bells as whistles...
Ill try to find a picture of the tiles we chose ...
pool-tile-2-IMG_20170213_143246-1.jpg

BLING! LOVE it!

With the glass tile make sure to play around with different colors of the stuff under it (forgot the name of it) AND the grout color. This can change to look of that pretty BLING tile! Better get it picked out up front.

BTW most of the threads here talk about chipping out the old plaster and replastering.
My PB has not mentioned chipping out, but I guess that doesnt mean he wont.
They are warrantying the finish for 10 years so its on them...

Chipping out is required when replastering. At a minimum chipping out is required around any tile, plumbing, lights and other items in the pool. Aquabright is applied over plaster so no chipping out is required unless there are areas with issues like delamination.

Thanks for clarification.

In his defense he did mention chipping around the lights and mosaics and fittings ... I was assuming chipping out meant all the old plaster. The plan for us is to fix surface, then quick plaster then AB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the only chipping he talked about was to chip around fittings, mosaics to keep the level the same ...

Im getting discouraged. In more than 10 days since the work started they have worked maybe 1.5 full days...
PB keeps saying " its construction, it takes time "

Are you in the flight line for DFW?? Those shadows in the films airplane wings going by!!

Nice Pool! Great film technique. Can you tell me what equipment you are using?

Yip :flower:

I installed Flir security camera system and had motion images sent to my email
then extracted a couple hundred images using an Outlook rule and a VB script that I googled.
then used Virtualdub to assemble the images into a movie
Virtual DUB is really cool - just list the files in numbered order and it automatically makes a movie in a second.
Down side is the movie is HUGE - 200 1mb images ended up being a 5 gb avi file

Also should have added that the time lapse shows that the VS pump running at near max rpm to backwash will empty the pool in about 4 hours.
Which means that it moves about, amazingly 6000 gallons per hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.