Refilling your Drianed pool

Ive started to put some bleech in bought some 6% yesterday locally and testing the levels with what i have ,keeping FC at 5 .It had already started to go green as i filled but looks like its working its going brown and you can see what i guess is dead algae on the bottom so ive been sweeping the pool with the pump/filter running which in turn seems to be lifting the Ph as theres about a 2ft drop on the returns at the moment.Think this is the best i can do untill my proper test kit turns up and hopefully my 200 litres of 10% i think after reading the storage issues with Liquid Chlorine especially here dont think i should buy it in any larger quanties than 200 litres.learning slowly i think .
Had to have a near argument with the supplier for the chlorine they told everyone in thailand uses Trichlor or SWG and im doing it wrong i explianed about CYA and he just said no thats not right , so in the end i said do you want to sell me Liquid Chlorine or not which they did , he also mentioned it has a shelf life of a month which doesnt seem to be true looking at chem geeks post just make sure its stored in the shade .I would like a SWG but they are near twice the price as in a lot of other countries and im on a tight budget will see if i can get someone to bring one out from Aus/UK/US eventually

As for the filling of the pool, you do want to add chlorine to it even while it is filling. And yes, since you have no CYA you can use Trichlor pucks for that purpose so long as you don't overdo it too quickly. Remember that for every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm and (after accounting for chlorine usage/consumption) reduces TA by 7 ppm and may lower the pH as well depending on how much aeration there is of the pool water.

thanks for all the input i raised the FC to 10 ( by diluting the test kit by 50% and doubling the reading) run the pump/filter for 3 days whilst brushing and vacuming .Now the pool is nice a clear ive been using some trichlor but writing down whats gone in so i can keep a eye on the CYA levels (using pool maths) .My delivery of 10% liquid chlorine has arived so ill keep using a bit more trichlor to get up to about 20 then swap to liquid bleech untill i can measure with the kit ive ordered (it stuck in coustoms at the mo ) . Then ill also check the CH then as well . Looks like i might have a storage problem with the liquid chlorine its come with a use by date of 3 months from manufacture and its already a month old so next time ill order less now it seems i have a reliable supply of it now but live and learn and try to keep it cool as possible .

This after keeping the FC around 5 and getting the CYA up to 40 the pump runs twice a day for 3 hours now the water is 100% crystal clear .Would like to thank evryone who gave me advice i am a true convert to the TFP way lets hope it stays good :)

DSC_4649.jpg

That looks great ! It'll stay that way as long as you keep all your parameters in range.
I would target FC at 7 and never below 3 for your CYA of 40. That gives you amble wiggle room for FC burn off so you don't fall below your min of 3. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.